Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Owakudani Black Egg. 2007/4/30 12:47
1. Does anyone know why those eggs are put into the steam chamber afterit is cooked in the hot spring?

2.Does the egg do any harm to our body since as i know thereis sulfur content in the hot spring.

claran
by jackie wong  

I did not . . . 2007/5/22 10:53
notice them putting the eggs in a steam chamber but maybe it's to keep them warm.

I don't think the sulfur content is toxic, if anything, it prevents the growth of microorganisms (there is a sulfur preservative in U.S. apricots). In any case, the heat of the water will kill any bugs.

IMO, eggs boiled in those sulfur pits are a touristy thing. Only the shell takes on the smoky taste. I can't really taste a difference in the egg.

On the subject of boiled eggs, if anyone is ever in Nozawa onsen, be sure to try the ones at O-yama (I think they call it). It's the famous hot water onsen where the locals boil food. The absolute best boiled eggs in the world! Due to the sub boiling temperatures, the yolks are deep orange, not runny and not hard - and no offensive yolky taste. Also try the famous Nozawa tsukenomo (pickled vegetables). You'll probably be served it if you stay in a ryokan or minshuku.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

A little sulfur is okay. 2009/5/5 13:51
Egg yolks naturally contain a fair amount of sulfur, so unless you have an allergy, it won't hurt you. The cholesterol in onsen eggs are worse than the sulfur, actually. There are a few hot springs in Japan where you're actually encouraged to drink the sulfury water, like Kodei Onsen in Beppu. Drinking too much can upset your tummy, though.
by Yaghanen Soul (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread