Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English subtitles in Japanese films 2007/5/25 17:00
I would like to go and watch a japanese film in the cinema. Can anyone tell if there's any subtitle in the film? I don't know Japanese...
by moviegoer  

Japanese films 2007/5/25 23:35
Moviegoer,

Japanese films shown in cinemas don't have English subtitles. (Why would they?)
Non-Japanese films will have Japanese subtitles (except animation films, which are usually dubbed), so you can enjoy them in their original language.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

depends 2007/5/26 02:51
well it depends on which country you are going to the cinema in......
by gozomark rate this post as useful

. 2007/5/26 03:02
Considering this is Japan guide one can safely assume the person plans on watching a movie somewhere in Japan.

But if the movie was shown in another country, I'm pretty sure that movie would subtitled in the language of that country.

Otherwise Japanese Films are not subtitled. Foreign films however are.
by John rate this post as useful

But..... 2007/6/10 16:53
Sometimes foreign movies are "dubbed" in Japanese, so the original dialog is gone and the characters are speaking Japanese.
by Ed rate this post as useful

some do 2007/6/18 20:14
Well a choice few Japanese films do have English subtitles, but seems only when intended for international release, like Letters of Iwo Jima which at least in some Tokyo cinemas sported subtitles.
by Mr T rate this post as useful

english subtitles 2007/8/26 08:41
I'm not sure but I hope this link can help you. http://www.mysubtitles.com/subtitles/English+Subtitles/subtitles-download/1.html

You can download English subtitles here for Japanese films. Just type the movie name on the search box.

I hope I helped you :)

Bevski
by Bevs rate this post as useful

reply to this thread