Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Male/Transsexual Relationships in Japan. 2007/6/9 12:37
Hey all. This may be a bizarre question, but I was wondering if anyone knew how Japanese society views relationships between men and male2female transsexuals.

I ask because my preference is to these type of women and even if it's not noticable that my girl is transgendered, I still don't wanna get lynched by an angry mob or anything for violating some taboo. I'm about to finish school and plan on doing the Jet program (big surprise I bet :p)

Also any one know if there are many m2fs in Japan? I know other Asian countries like the Philippines and Thailand have tons, but it seems that Japan doesn't have many from what I've seen.

Thanks!
by Bankysan  

m2fs in Japan 2007/6/10 21:20
There are tons of m2fs working in bars at Shinjuku 2-chome district. There are also many popular m2f TV entertainers. You see at least one every day. Gender identity disorder is also acknowledged in the Japanese society and you are able to get medical treatment and gender change operation for that. You are also able to change your official gender with documents from a doctor.

Unfortunately marriage between same genders is not legal in Japan, so your spouse needs to be someone officially registered as a woman. However being gay and gay relationships are legal.

That said, there are always people who frown at something they're not used to. But another thing is that in Japan, people generally don't speak up about their personal relationships. It's not really that polite to talk about your love life unless you have to, so to speak. So you can date your m2f without telling anybody that she used to be a he, or you can live with a male sweetheart and people will think you're just buddies.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanx 2007/6/11 04:41
Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that there are alot in that district, I'll have to check it out when I get there lol.

One thing I forgot to mention is that my goal (dream really) is to do the Jet program and teach English in the schools as soon as I get my degree. Like you said people don't really care much about sexuality because people don't talk much about their romantic lives in Japan, is this still the same for school teachers?

I know here in the United States, people freak out if they find out a teacher is even the least bit homosexual, thinking their kids are going to be raped or something stupid like that. Also I've read and noticed that in Japan a person's conduct OUTSIDE the work place can be judged and be cause for termination if thought to be inappropriate (correct me if I'm wrong)

I wouldn't announce my preference to the world, but if say the school principal saw me out on a date with a male2female and and figured it out, could my job as a teacher be in jeopardy?
by Bankysan rate this post as useful

Male/Transsexual Relationships in Japan 2007/6/11 11:39
Bankysan,

So long as you you are not doing anything illegal, I don't think your employer or other people will really care too much about what you do in your free time. Unlike in some western countries, people here tend not to impose their own moral values on others.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

rural placements 2007/6/11 11:52
Just remember, in the JET program, you could very well get placed somewhere very rural where they will be completely in your business. Here are just two examples from other JETs:

-a man with a japanese gf was told by his principal not to hold hands in public with his girl because a student saw, told her mother, and the mother called the school to complain

-a female JET who let her bf stay over got in trouble because the neighbors called the school to report it, and they added a "no visitors" clause to her contract
(it was a school owned apt.)

So in a rural area, people are more conservative and much much more likely to gossip about their ALT. If you think it'll be a real issue, try to go with a company where you'll be placed in the city.

All that aside, I've met some very nice mtf and ftm persons here in Japan. In Osaka and Tokyo the scene is pretty decent. ^^

-a lucky kansai JET
by Kate rate this post as useful

Wow 2007/6/11 14:19
"-a man with a japanese gf was told by his principal not to hold hands in public with his girl because a student saw, told her mother, and the mother called the school to complain"

This is the kind of stuff I was talking about, but was expecting, I've heard Public Displays of Affection were a no-no so thats no problem.

"-a female JET who let her bf stay over got in trouble because the neighbors called the school to report it, and they added a "no visitors" clause to her contract
(it was a school owned apt.)"

So whom I take home is only a concern if it's a school-owned apartment right?

Thank you all for your replies!
by Bankysan rate this post as useful

re: school apartments 2007/6/11 17:12
I think a school apartment would be the only way they could make it part of your contract, but if people were complaining they might still try to pressure you. How you deal with the pressure is up to you, though- some JETs try to conform completely, some just grin and say "Well, in gaikoku this is how we roll" and go on doing whatever.
by Kate rate this post as useful

my experience 2008/11/13 12:13
I am a M2F post op myself.. Living in Japan and married.. In my experience it is a very traditional country. And the Japanese prefer everyone to be the same. But also I think they are too scared of foreigners to speak up.. The Japanese do not tend to get into your business.

But about the public displays of affection?? I kiss and hold hands in every place.. never get anything.. I think its a matter of personal choice.. Only smoking on a non-smoking street made one japanese lady speak up to me one time.. which totally surprised me..

You can do it japan everything you like, and the nice thing is that nobody bothers you in the street.. I am from Holland and there I got too much attention of the men.. But here I can just live free, with maybe them just looking at me when i dont look.. Dont forget that Japan may be hypocritical.. But the etiquette here is awesome!!

good luck!!
by Betty rate this post as useful

a useful online forum 2008/11/15 00:58
Might be you are not interested anymore, but still...

I would recommend this website and forum:

http://gay-japan.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/2486037401

It helped me a lot when I was coming out...

Good luck in Japan!

Danny :) (in Kyoto)
by Danny0071 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread