Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I use my mobile phone 2007/6/17 06:51
Reloctating to Okinawa soon and bringing my own prepaid mobile phone. Will I be able to purchase a sim card and use my my mobile phone there?
by Stikym4  

it depends 2007/6/18 18:12
If Ifm not mistaken the answer is YES in case your current mobile phone is WCDMA (3G) compatible, usually every 3G SonyEricsson works with NttDoCoMo without problemsc
by T.K. rate this post as useful

ketai 2007/6/18 18:13
You don't say where you're relocating from, if it's abroad, then it's highly unlikely your handset will work I'm afraid.

by furan rate this post as useful

Cell Phone 2007/6/18 18:39
I'll be relocating from the states. Thanks for the info.
by Stikym4 rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/18 18:52
It depends on your phone model but I'm afraid you can't.

- You need a 3G (W-CDMA) phone for use in Japan. Prepaid phones are unlikely to be 3G.
- Only Asian/European 3G phones (W-CDMA 2100MHz) work in Japan. North American 3G phones (W-CDMA 850/1900MHz) don't.
- Prepaid SIM cards are not sold in Japan.

You better buy a Japanese phone in Japan. It requires Certificate of Alien Registration, which is a must if you stay in Japan over 90 days.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Help! Z610i 2007/6/22 00:03
Hi,I'm from Singapore and I have a Sony Ericsson (3G) Z610i.
I'm wondering if it would work in Japan. It has UMTS 2100.
by Adust rate this post as useful

. 2007/6/22 05:32
Yes it should work.
Ask your operator if you'd like to use international roaming.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

To Stikym4 2008/6/22 19:05
Yes, you can buy a (U)SIM card. I did buy from Softbank for 0 yen. All you need is you passport and document which proves you domicile in Japan.
As for the mobile phone you intend to use in Japan, it depends on the phone you have. But in the worst case you would have to buy one such as the 811T, 902T...etc. If you are lucky you may find some in this site.

I hope this fragment of information proves useful.

Using prepaid service.
I think the best prepaid service, which I actually have been using for sometime now, is softbank prepaid service. All you need is a 3G (third generation??) phone like 811T, 902T...etc, a (U)SIM which you could get from any softbank shop for free (provided you have your passport with you) and a 3.000 or 5.000 yen prepaid card to charge you account. After that you can use the service, and if you apply for the email service (which costs 300 yen per month and which would be deduced from you prepaid card credit) then you can send and receive as much emails as you want (even with attachment).

I hope this fragment of information would prove useful to you.
by Fr rate this post as useful

"Quad-band world phone" 2008/6/24 12:13
What about quad-band phones? Will I be able to use my quad-band phone under T-Mobile in Japan?
by Ebiten rate this post as useful

reply to this thread