Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

About satellite TV in Japan 2007/7/1 09:07
Hello,

I've read on this site that everyone can receive about 5 TV channels in Tokyo using simple room antenna. As far as I can understand, this is about terrestrial TV broadcasting. But how could I receive NHK's BS1 & BS2 satellite channels, for instance? Do I need special TVset with built-in satellite tuner(receiver) and outdoor parabolic antenna?
Regards,

Roger.
by Roger  

... 2007/7/1 17:24
With a small parabolic antenna and a BS decoder, BS (analog) channels can be received:

@@NHK Satellite ‚P (BS‚V), NHK Satellite ‚Q (BS11)

@@This antenna can be purchased at any electronic goods store.@The same is true for decoders, although many new televisions have the decoders built-in.@

In addition, people receiving satellite broadcasts must pay the NHK satellite broadcast fee.@
by BARON rate this post as useful

BS broadcasting 2007/7/1 21:02
Thank you very much, Baron!
So small parabolic antenna I can purchase in any electronic store...seems there are also companies which can provide a technicians to install/connect to TVset this antenna properly, right?
About fee for NHK's BS broadcasting...does it mean that I must sign a special contract with local branch of NHK during installation of satellite antenna?
regards,

Roger.
by Roger rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/1 22:06
When you purchase an antenna you can ask a shop to dispatch an engineer to install it. But it is relatively easy to install/connect it and you don't necessarily need an engineer.

Note that if you have to make a hole on the wall, you need to get a approval from landlord. If you own a house/unit, no problem at all. (In many cases, a hole for A/C can be used for this purpose.)

Also, newly-built apartment/condo has a common antenna on the roof so you have only to connect an antenna cable to the room outlet.

About broadcast fee, once you install an outside antenna, NHK staff will visit you to collect fee.

Actually, in Japan, those who own a TV set are required to pay NHK fee whether it is just conventional or satellite TV.

Unlike the BBC, however, Japanfs fees are not gmanditoryh since NHK does not have a way to force people to pay with fines or arrest.

Therefore, as far as you're watching conventional TV channels, you can ignore NHK staff or tell them that you are not watching NHK.

But once you install an outdoor antenna, you cannot get away with. An antenna tells them that you "are watching" NHK BS.
by BARON rate this post as useful

watching TV channels 2007/7/2 07:38
Thank you for perfect explanation, Baron ! :thumbs up:

BS reception 2007/7/2 18:13
In addition : I think that installation of NTSC analog satellite antenna is really not so hard task...seems that installation of ,say, C-band satellite dish for some Euro satellite is much more complicated action for an ordinary amateur TV viewer!

American channels available in japan? 2008/5/18 09:59
Hi, I am moving into a house in japan in a month and was wondering if anybody knew whether or not american cable channels like the travel channel and discovery channel are available through some sort of satellite programming, and if so then how would I acquire such programming?
by ace rate this post as useful

. 2008/5/19 00:17
Discovery Channel, History Channel, Animal Planet, National Geographic Channel is aired by SkyPerfecTV.

http://www.skyperfectv.co.jp/en/guide/lineup/02.html#documen...
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

BS reception 2008/6/11 18:31
Good info, thanks !

reply to this thread