Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I need an anti-inflammatory medicine 2007/7/6 22:47
I have a strong pain to a leg and I'm forced to bed, I need an anti- infiammatory medicine but I know the names of such italian medicine (e.g. Voltaren [diclofenac]) but here the names seem to be different.Do you know the name of anti-infiammatory medicine wich I could buy here in Tokyo without prescription? Thank you
by fab  

... 2007/7/7 20:39
(e.g. Voltaren [diclofenac]) but here the names seem to be different.
In Japan, you need prescription to get Voltaren. I was once given this medicine when I had my wisdom tooth taken out.

Do you know the name of anti-infiammatory medicine wich I could buy here in Tokyo without prescription?

Bufferin (acetylsalicylic acid )
Tylenol (acetaminophen)
EVE (ibuprofen)
Excedrin(acetylsalicylic acid & acetaminophen)

are over-the-counter drugs.

Note that drugs in Japan are not as strong as those in the US/Europe. You need prescription to get antibiotics in Japan, too.

Hope that you will get well soon.
by J lady rate this post as useful

about this ibuprofen, now ... 2007/10/10 11:02
So is this EVE a brand name here in Japan? I am about to run out of the Advil I brought with me and need to get some more (I hurt myself, I'm not an addict), but am not sure what to look for or ask for. I can't speak Japanese and can only read a tiny bit of hiragana and katakana (no kanji, alas), so if anyone can help me figure out how to get more ibuprofen, that would be fantastic. Thanks!
by Tracy J. rate this post as useful

To Tracy J., 2007/10/10 11:44
Common painkillers that contain Ibuprofen and can be bought at pharmacies without prescription are:

EVE (SSP Co., Ltd., SS Pharmaceutical)
Naron Ace (Taisho Pharmaceutical)
Norshin pure (Arax. Co., Ltd.)

At a drugstore, you could ask for "Ibupurofen iri no itami dome, arimasu ka?" (Do you have painkillers containing ibuprofen?) or jot down those names and show it there; just to be sure, you could ask "Ibupurofen iri desu ne?" (It contains ibuprofen, right?)
by AK rate this post as useful

Eve 2007/10/10 12:30
Yep I use eve in Japan, its weak but ok.
The drug store didnt know what I was talking about when I enquired about Anti Inflammatory for the first time.
Bloody expensive compaired to America & Australia too
by Kevin rate this post as useful

So this begs the question 2007/10/10 13:31
What non-prescription drugs should I be careful about bringing to Japan? I get a really sore lower back when I sit for too long, so I know I will be uncomfortable during the flight. I was going to bring extra strength Tylenol and extra strength Advil. Any problems with these?
by JS rate this post as useful

Site 2007/10/10 14:25
JS
http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/import/index.html
This site may help in regards to that
by Kevin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread