Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eating rice etiquette 2007/7/8 22:49
I have noticed (mainly from television) that Japanese, when eating rice will normally pick up lumps of rice and eat them. I assume this is because Japanese use shorter grain glutinous (sticky) rice?

Me being Chinese we normally put our lip to the rim of the rice bowl and spoon the rice and food into our mouths using the chopstick. Does this happen in Japan? If not, would it be rude if I did this while doing a homestay in Japan?
by J  

. 2007/7/10 12:54
Me being Chinese we normally put our lip to the rim of the rice bowl and spoon the rice and food into our mouths using the chopstick. Does this happen in Japan? If not, would it be rude if I did this while doing a homestay in Japan?

In Japan, it is a very bad manner to eat rice with your lips on the rim of the rice bowl and shovelling the rice into your mouth.

But these days people do not make a lot of fuss as they used to, and many young people, especially boys, or when they are eathing something gyuudon (beef bowl which has some sauce and make it difficult to pick up rice in chunks) do this. Still it is bad manner.
by . rate this post as useful

cool 2007/8/23 23:00
A nice thing to know when eating in various restaurants or near visitor / tourists. I love asian food and having read this hope as an Australian I haven't offended anyone.

by John rate this post as useful

bad manners 2007/8/24 01:44
Yes, it is considered very bad manners.
by cf rate this post as useful

raising it... 2007/8/24 06:08
i might be wrong, but i think you're allowed to raise the bowl up but not let it touch your mouth.
by Miko rate this post as useful

Try this 2007/8/24 07:36
Raise it up about halfway from the table to your mouth and try that. Should be significantly easier and if you do drop the rice, it should go back into the bowl where the rice came from instead of on your lap, the table or the floor.
by Sean rate this post as useful

reply to this thread