Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Please look at this for me 2007/7/11 09:20
I have two months left to travel to Japan. I can not believe it! I remember when I first started planning my trip about a year ago. Anyway, I want you to look at my itinerary. Let me know whether it is good. I still have time to change things around if you think I should.

Day 1: Arrive in Tokyo 1:00 p.m. Check in hotel in Ginza. Check out Sony building and Hama Rikyu Garden. Maybe have time to do other things.

Day 2: Wake up early and walk around Tsukiji Fish Market (i believe it is closed on Sundays). Is there anything else to do around this area?
Around 9 a.m. head to Akihabara.
Around 10:30 a.m. head to Ueno Park
Around 12 p.m. head to Asakusa.
Around 2 p.m. take the boat on the Sumida River to Odaiba.
Get back to Ginza on the Yurikamome elevated train.

Day 3: Mt Fuji Tour with Sunrise Tours.

Day 4: Kamakura.
Have luggage delivered to Matsushima Century Hotel.
Do you think that my luggage will get to Matsushima Century Hotel on the next day with me shipping it out on Day 4?

Day 5: Check out of hotel.
Explore Nikko.
Around 2 p.m. head to Matsushima.
Debating on whether to take train only to Hon-Shiogama and then take a sightseeing boat to Matsushima Kaigan Pier. That way we can see the Matsushima Bay. What do you think?

Day 6: Yamadera
At night time, maybe walk around Matsushima City. Not sure yet.

Day 7: Check out of hotel. Go to Kyoto. Get there around 12p.m.
Begin walk at Boj-zaka bus stop on Higashi ji dori (Lonley Planet's recommendation).

At night, go to Gion.

Day 8: Kyoto/Arashiyama

Day 9: Tokyo - Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku

Day 10: Tokyo

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :)~
by Amarys  

comment 2007/7/12 16:03
Please allow me to mention:
Day 2
Yes when it is a Sunday Fish Market is closed
Day 4
Do you really need to send all lugguage because of 3 nights out of Tokyo hotel. Why not leave suitcase in Tokyo hotel ( must be same hotel ) till return late evening Day 8 and only have small carry on.
Day 5
The 14.19 h departure at JR Nikko station means arrival HonShiogama after 17.00 h, but last ship to Matsushima Kaigan is 16.00 h ( Even the 13.35 h Nikko departure means arrival after 16.00 h ) But your idea by ship from HonShiogama to Matsushima is better than direct to Matsushima.
Day 8 Last hikari shinkansen from Kyoto to Tokyo is 20.39 h / 23.29 h . You will have JR Rail Pass for Day 4 to Day 10? Cheaper than single tickets
by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/12 16:08
Day 5 and day 7 look quite packed. On Day 5, if you want to go to Nikko (about two hours to get there), explore there, THEN head to Matsushima starting around 2 (about three hours from Nikko, via Utsunomiya, to Matsushima), you'll be starting very early in the morning. (Actually I would recommend a bit more time in Nikko.) The same for Day 7. The only connection I found was 7:22 from Matsushima station, via Sendai, Tokyo, change trains then onto Kyoto (station) by twelve forty or so.
by AK rate this post as useful

good trip 2007/7/12 21:18

On Day six it looks like you wake up in Matsushima, go to Yamadera, which is an hour out of Sendia towards Yamagata, then you return that night to Matsushima, which is 30 minutes the other way past Sendai. Why not just spend the second night (or possibly both nights) in Sendai? Itfs a real good city for walking around in. Lots of old izakayas and bars still remain along back streets off the covered arcade there. (This type of cityscape is fast disappearing in most of Japan.) And it has a vibrant night district. Far better for walking around at night than Matsushima, I would think.

Sendai is one of my favorite Japanese cities. Ifm not a huge Matsushima fan, but Yamadera is one of my very favorite spots. You can really relax there if there arenft many people. The middle of September should be a good time.

The huge outdoor bath at Zao is beautiful. Itfs an hour from Yamadera. Itfs not necessarily easy to get to, but if you have that whole day (Day 6) anyway, why not go for it?

Finally, I agree with Peter, above. Day 5 will be tough to catch the boat, but you do want to catch it. So all things considered, I would recommend this: If youfre spending that night in Matsushima anyway, donft worry about the boat going there, but take it coming back into Sendai on your way to Yamadera in the morning.

Also, like Peter says, day 7 is not great, but more doable, especially if you stay that night in Sendai instead of Matsushima, as I recommend. You can leave Sendai at 8:15 and arrive in Kyoto, very well rested, at 12:23.

Anyway, sounds like a great trip. Have fun.
by Edo rate this post as useful

time 2007/7/12 23:51
Just keep in mind that it always takes longer to see things than you expect. When we were in Japan we tended to downplay transport time, and though our plans looked do-able on paper, we always wound up rushing the last couple of attractions or missing them entirely. We enjoyed ourselves more when we saw things thoroughly and could sort of relax and take it all in. Just don't be disappointed if you miss a few things - prioritize. Enjoy your trip!
by Tay rate this post as useful

too much to do 2007/7/13 07:08
it sounds like work, I think you should do 50% of what you intended to do, take time to enjoy every place you go to, transportation takes time, I just came from 12 day trip to Japan and I did 1/3 of what you are planning to do, I did not rush to do anything...I am on vacation.
Best to you
by Mark rate this post as useful

Look at this for me 2007/7/13 07:55
Day 2: Wake up early and walk around Tsukiji Fish Market (i believe it is closed on Sundays). Is there anything else to do around this area?
Around 9 a.m. head to Akihabara.
Around 10:30 a.m. head to Ueno Park
Around 12 p.m. head to Asakusa.
Around 2 p.m. take the boat on the Sumida River to Odaiba.
Get back to Ginza on the Yurikamome elevated train.

Most shops in Tokyo don't open until 10am, so i wouldn't bother arriving at Akihabara until 10am

by Philip rate this post as useful

..... 2007/7/13 10:25
This is what I needed to know. Thanks.

Anyone know of a good hotel in Sendai? I am looking for a 4 star hotel. Is it going to be hard for me to find a hotel in Sendai this late in the game?
by Amarys rate this post as useful

Just to add... 2007/7/13 10:55
I like the idea of staying in Sendai. It makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, after I'm done with Yamadera on day 6, I'm going to paaaasssss Sendai to go to Matsushima to wake up the next morning to head back to Sendai?? yea, that really doesn't make sense. i can see why you guys suggest I stay in Sendai. I tried looking up some hotels in Sendai and really did not see anything that interested me. maybe that is why I decided to stay in Matsushima. Any good leads on hotels in Sendai would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I will have the 7 day JR Pass and will start using it from day 4.

Sendai hotel 2007/7/13 15:03
Amarys,
what about Metropolitan Sendai Hotel?
http://hotel.eki-net.com/e/metro/107.html
by Peter rate this post as useful

sendai hotel 2007/7/13 15:28
by . rate this post as useful

Tokyo itinerary 2007/7/13 21:41
Day 2: You can't fit all that into a day; for example you would need at least 3 hours to have a decent look at Akihabara....
by John rate this post as useful

..... 2007/7/17 10:08
I tried to make a reservation at Hotel Metropolitan Sendai and no one speaks English there. I e-mailed them twice and nothing. What should I do? Any suggestions?

Hotel Metropolitan Sendai 2007/7/17 10:19
I've stayed at that hotel before and they seemed quite professional and decent. Give them a day or two, or, which e-mail addresse did you try?
http://www.s-metro.stbl.co.jp/english/inquiry/index.html
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/17 10:20
Did you call the hotel or send a fax? or just send an e-mail?

Alternately you can book via hotels.com/expedia/travelocity etc.
by John rate this post as useful

Reservation 2007/7/17 10:33
I called them. I call them again just now and I got through to someone that speaks English. Wow! I have so much to learn before I leave to Japan. It was hard for me to make a reservation, I can't imagine ordering dinner. lol. thanks for the quick responses.

Sendai at night 2007/7/17 10:38
So... now that I have changed my Day 5 around and now staying in Sendai instead of Matsushima, where should I go at night? Day 5, Sept. 26, is actually our 10th year anniversary. I would like to do something nice, maybe walk around the city and have a nice dinner. Any suggestions? Thanks :)))

Too Much! 2007/7/31 13:39
You plan to do Tsukiji Fish Market, Akihabara, Ueno Park, Asakusa, a Sumida River cruise and Odaiba on the SAME day!?!
by cck rate this post as useful

reply to this thread