Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita Airport to Hakone 2007/7/17 01:00
Hi,

I'm going to be visiting Japan for my first time in August. My mother and I are going to be staying in Hakone for 6 nights. We are renting a car and driving all the way there from the airport. The problem is that I need help with directions getting there. I've searched for maps online with no success. Can someone help me? Will airport personnel be able to give good directions. I want to get this problem figured out now so I won't have to worry about it later. And also, what places do you recommend seeing while in Hakone? All help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
by Mark  

... 2007/7/21 18:48
6 nights in Hakone! Wow, that is a long stay!

Driving from Narita Airport to Hakone is a big challenge, since you have to pass through the highly complex expressway network of Tokyo. I recommend to ask the car rental office to program your car's navigation system, so that it can navigate you all the way to Hakone.

If you prefer to get around by car, I recommend to take trains to Odawara, just outside Hakone, and rent a car from there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Getting there 2007/7/22 05:40
Hi Mark,
Best wishes getting to Hakone! I think it is possible to go all the way by car, but as Uji says, you may be better off renting in Odawara and getting there by train.-You may also wish to take a bus and it is likely there will be a Hakone bus from Narita.
from Narita you can go on expressways all the way but those are toll roads, [expensive for long distances] and subject to tieups. Definitely you will need some kind of map.
If you want a traditional map I would reccomend finding a Y100 shop and getting a map of Kanagawa Ken ['The Map'series, map#27]these maps are updated every year and have detailed information on roadways, rail lines, and topography-of course in Japanese.
If you go by train, you can get from Narita on the Keisei line, then transfer at Nippori for the Yamanote line then to The Odyakyu Line at Shinjuku. Odyakyu is a famous direct line to Odawara/Hakone.
At Odawara station you can get a 'Hakone Free Pass' not free, but it will give you discount on area attractions and transportations. They also have area guides in English.
Have a nice trip!
MP
by Mart rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/22 08:19
Is there a specific reason for you to rent a car at Narita? If not, go to Odawara via Tokyo then rent one, as Uji suggested.
Get on Narita Express to Tokyo and transfer to shinkansen Hikari to Odawara. Note not every Hikari stops at Odawara.

Driving from Narita to Hakone is just too complicated. Save yourself a huge hassle.
by tokyonet rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/27 08:34
Alright I think I will do that then. Thank you for all your help
by Mark rate this post as useful

freeway fares 2007/7/27 16:14
don't forget the expensive freeway charges. I'm not sure if they charge foreigners, so correct me if I'm wrong. But I remember driving around with my host family, the numbers add up! Sometimes it showed 1000 yen (a little under $10) just for 10 miles I think.
If they do charge you for driving on the freeway, I really think you should just get your car in Odawara. (while you're there, visit the zen temple! the Tengu are pretty neat)
by Miko rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/30 10:00
Expressway tolls from Narita Airport to Hakone are around 4000 Yen.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread