Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

hakone weekday free pass 2007/7/23 14:43
Hi, anyone kind to explain what is the meaning of quote below taken from http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
:-
"One round trip to the Hakone free area by Odakyu Railways. (Not applicable if you buy the pass for usage from a station inside the free area, such as Odawara or Mishima.) "
I dont understand what it means by "not applicable if you buy the pass....Mishima". I planned to buy this pass (Odawara-3410Y). From Shinjuku -odawara, i will take odakyu line rapid express. Can this pass be used for round trip : Odawara - Hakone yumoto?
by lisa21  

... 2007/7/23 15:44
It means that the Hakone Free Pass, which you purchase at Odawara Station, does not include a round trip between Tokyo and Hakone.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks uji 2007/7/23 16:49
after calculating, i think it's more worthy if i purchase the Hakone Weekday Pass - from Shinjuku 4700Y. Then i would be entitled to have round trip travel from Shinjuku - Odawara. Am i right? Few more questions: the classic round course in http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html - how long the whole course willtake? do you think it's good enough for the 1st timer japan travellers?or you have other suggestions to explore Hakone?
by lisa21 rate this post as useful

first time at Hakone 2007/7/23 17:49
For a visitor with Tokyo stay the Hakone weekday pass from/to Odawara makes only sense when combined with JR Rail Pass. ( For example you continue to Kyoto etc after Hakone ). For a first time traveller it is doable. After arrival at HakoneYumoto station you just have to change the platform, signposted in English, without going through the ticket gates, in Gora the cablecar is next to the railway terminal. At Sounzan ropeway next to cablecar. Riding the ropeway it just stops at Owakudani, so you cannot miss. Second part of ropeway, go through to Togendai, you will see the ship's landing. Walking between Hakonemachi and Motohakone you will see the bus-stops. When you are unsure when entering the bus ( also timetable in English at the busstop ) ask driver: To HakoneYumoto? and you will be back at the railwaystation. If you leave Tokyo-Shinjuku in the morning be back early evening.
by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/24 08:42
Then i would be entitled to have round trip travel from Shinjuku - Odawara. Am i right?

Yes!

how long the whole course will take?

About five hours or more.

hakone & gotemba 2007/9/25 15:38
hi, i would like to visit hakone & gotemba in the same day and i have few queries. I will go to Hakone on 23oct2007 (tues) using Hakone weekday pass 4700Y.Pls correct me if Im wrong :

1) It's stated that the Weekday Pass is valid for 2 days- does it means i can travel from shinjuku - odawara - shinjuku ,using Odakyu Line Express for free, for 2 days?

2)the earliest Odakyu Line depart from Shinjuku - Hakoneyumoto = 745 am?

3) Shinjuku - Hakoneyumoto: can I use Odakyu Line Express alone or need to change to Hakone Tozan line? travel time = 120 mins.

From Hakoneyumoto, i will travel to Gora/Goura using Hakone Tozan railway - visit hakone open air museum.

From Gora, i will continue to Sounzan by Hakone Tozan Cablecar, then to Owakudani and finally to Togendai using Hakone Ropeway.

4) If i leave shinjuku at 745am, is it possible to complete the above visit by noon?

5) If possible, can i take Odakyu Hakone Highway bus alone from Togendai to Gotemba or, i need to take Hakone Tozan bus to Sengoku first before proceed to Gotemba by O.Hakone highway bus?

I will then have lunch and shopping at Gotemba, which, by 5pm, i will be ready to leave Gotemba, back to Togendai.

6) Will it be too late to continue my visit? i still want to view Lake Ashi by H. Sightseeing Boat, visit Detached Palace Garden, Hakone Shrine in Moto Hakone.

7) What is the latest time to board on Odakyu Line from Odawara, back to Shinjuku?

Please help. Thanks

Hakone 2007/9/25 18:05
lisa21,
1.) you can travel from Shinjuku to Odawara on the first day, you can travel from Odawara to Shinjuku on the first day OR ( not and ) the second day. You cannot go Shinjuku - Odawara - Shinjuku on both days. You can go any means of transport within Hakone as many times as you like.
2.) The first train leaves Shinjuku 05.31 h arrive HakoneYumoto 07.16 h
3.) This train goes through to HakoneYumoto there you change to the train to Gora
4.) Leaving Shinjuku around 07.45 h arrive Gora 10.30 h without visit museum, without ropeway, without visit of Owakudani, "Noon" means you just have 90 min for this all.
5.) you will not be in Gotemba for lunch if this means 12.30 h or 13.00 h
6.) Do not forget it will be dark then.
7.) lv Odawara 22.57 h arrive Shinjuku 00.31 h
by Peter rate this post as useful

..gotemba - 2nd day 2007/9/26 11:36
Peter, thanks for your advice. I think i have to change my plan, hakone -one full day, and Gotemba - another half day.

You mentioned that i cannot use the pass for 2 round trips from shinjuku-odawara - shinjuku. Thanks.

But, can i used the pass to ride on the Odakyu Hakone Highway Bus - from Shinjuku to Gotemba - on the 2nd day after exploring Hakone?

It's stated in the web : http://www.hakonenavi.jp/english/traffic/use/highwaybus.html
- "Users of the Hakone Freepass must also buy a separate ticket for the Shinjuku–Gotemba portion"

Hakone Freepass mentioned here, does it includes Hakone Weekday Pass?

Thank you

... 2007/9/26 11:41
The Hakone Free Pass and Hakone Weekend Pass are explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

top up 2007/9/27 16:12
For a trip from shinjuku - gotemba by hakone highway bus, how much extra i need to pay on top of the hakone weekday pass coverage?

thanks again

Kyoto - Hakone - Toyko 2007/9/27 23:32
Hi assuming i get the 2 day free pass from odawara..and i understand it does not cover the round trip..

1. however i am confused if the pass will cover the trip from hakone back to shinjuku? please advise.

2. any good onsen ryokan to recommend in hakone.odawara? thanks!

Mel
by Melissa rate this post as useful

will not cover trip to shinjuku 2007/9/27 23:57
Hey Melissa.

If you get the Hakone weekday pass/Freepass from Odawara, it will not cover your return from Odawara to Shinjuku. (Hence why it is so much cheaper then getting a weekday pass/freepass from Shinjuku)

by krysta rate this post as useful

how to get back to tokyo? 2007/9/28 01:08
Hi krysta,

thanks for ur reply. So if i get a free pass from Odawara (4310 Yen), it will NOT cover the rturn trip back to Tokyo.

What will be the cheapest and best way to get back to tokyo? Thannks again.

Mel
by Melissa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread