Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation for an Indian Name 2007/7/25 23:39
Hi ...

I'm in real urgent need of a translation of an Indian Name. Especially the script as I'm looking forward to getting a Tattoo done. Preferably a Kanji Translation.
The name is PRIYANKA . I would really appreciate if I get a literal translation to that name. However, I understand that each charater is a symbol that defines something whole. A literal translation will be greatly appreciated. Just to be on the safer side I'm giving the meaning of the name so that, the meaning can be scripted in Kanji.
The meaning of the name is Dear One or Loved One .

Summary -
Name : PRIYANKA
Meaning : Dear One or Loved One .
Script : Any script preferably Kanji.

As mentioned, this is for a Tattoo.

Thanks a millions.
Awaiting responses.

This means a lot to me.

Thanks once again.

Regards,

Vinay
by Vinay  

Tattoo 2007/7/29 08:59
Vinay,

Priyanka would be written as プリヤンカ in Japanese. Non-Japanese names are normally written in katakana - not kanji.
Please be sure to post a photo of the tattoo here once you have had it done.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/29 09:10
For non-Japanese names, you can only do one of two things if you want "Japanese equivalent," or a name in kanji (characters).

(1) Just take the transcription of the sound, and write it in katakana (=phonetic letters). So this would be プリヤンカ as given by Dave in Saitama.
For some names, one COULD select a string of kanji that have the same or at least similar sound and pleasant meaning. However, in the case of your name, there is no kanji that even starts with "PU" sound, that I cannot think of any kanji to represent the sound.

(2) Find out the meaning of your name in YOUR OWN language; find a kanji that has the same meaning. But the sound is likely to be completely different from your original name.

So in your case, the "loved one" or "dear one" would be a candidate. However, while "dear" and "love" can be written with kanji, "loveD ONE" or "dear ONE" would require a combination of kanji and hiragana (another set of phonetic letters), and to be honest it simply would not look good writing a whole general phrase in Japanese as tattoo :(
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Thank you very much! 2007/7/29 14:28
Thanks a Million .... Dave and AK.

Dave, I would just like to confirm with you if プリヤンカ means PRIYANKA lierally & Phonetically. Also, if you could give me the translation for the meaning of the name i.e. Loved one or Dear one, it would be great.

AK, Could you please give me a Kanji translation which means the closest to what I need ? That will help a lot.

And finally a request for bot Dave & AK, My apologies because I'm really not aware of oriental scriptures likes Japanese, Kanji, Katakana, etc. If you could suggest the best possible scripture for the name or meaning to get a tattoo done. As the meaning given above is the most closest to the name.

As you would have come across requests for inscription being tattooed, it is to my understanding that you would be most aware as to which is the most preferred style.

Again, Thanks a million to both Dave & AK.

Awaiting your response.

Regards,
Vinay
by Vinay rate this post as useful

names 2007/7/29 16:10
So the single kanji closest in meaning to what you want would be 愛, pronounced
"ai", meaning love. This is a common girl's name.

Not sure if that was what you wanted though.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/7/29 16:44
Hi Sira ...

Thats like a good addition. The thing is that since its the most common symbol, I was looking for something a little different from the usual. Because, Love as a symbol is very usual. However, I really appreciate your thought on this. If you please look for something a little different than the ordinary and as close to the name or its meaning as possible, it would be simply wonderful. Because Kanji script are usually used as tattoos.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks a million.

Regards,
Vinay

... 2007/7/30 17:48
プリヤンカ is *phonetic* representation of "Puriyanka," consisting of five syllables = five katakana letters:
プ "pu"
リ "ri"
ヤ "ya"
ン "n"
カ "ka"
It SAYS "Puriyanka," it does not MEAN anything, it is just a name.

About kanji writing for "loved one," or "dear one," as I stated in my earlier post, it becomes a lengthy *phrase,* with hiragana and kanji mixed in, and it does not make a good basis for tattoo, unfortunately (in my opinion at least).
by AK rate this post as useful

Help me translate this one 2007/8/2 12:29
Hey there people,

I managed to get the meaning on the name and translate it. The meaning of the name being Loved one or Dear One.
I would like to have your thoughts if the translation is right.

Does 最愛の人 mean " Loved One "?

Please do let me know at the earliest....

If anyone has a better translation for " Loved one ", I'd be happy to get that too..

Awaiting your responses.

Thanks & Regards,

Vinay

I found the meaning 2008/6/18 12:55
Name Gender Origin Meaning

Priyanka Female India Loved by all
by dreamtweety2u rate this post as useful

reply to this thread