Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan w/a 12 year old: Kyoto or Nara? 2007/7/28 10:47
Traveling to Japan with my 12 year old son. Don't want him to overdose on temples, but do want go to either Kyoto or Nara. Suggestions?
by Jack  

... 2007/7/30 11:26
Ages ago, I travelled with Intermediate School kids from New Zealand. (Ages from 11 to 13) We went to Kyoto and Nara.

It is true that teens do not really appreciate temples/shrines. While we're in Kyoto, they got bored soon (they enjoyed a good view from the elevated stage and drinking spring water in Kiyomizu temple, though).

It seemed to me that they enjoyed more in Nara. They wowed the Big Buddha, were chasing deer in Nara Park and released their energy in Wakakusayama mountain!
by J Lady rate this post as useful

Kyoto or Nara? 2007/7/30 12:45
If I had to choose I'd go to Nara,
1) Its easier to get around as its smaller then Kyoto
2) Feeding the deer is something all kids would enjoy, especially when they Bow to you.
3) The Golden Buddha is Very Impressive.
4) At 12 they can slip through the hole in the pillar at Todai-ji while watching adults getting stuck.
by Philip rate this post as useful

Kyoto or Nara 2007/7/30 17:25
I second the suggestion about Nara.. I am way older than 12 yet love to pet the deer .. another suggestion for a 12 years old would be to visit the Fushimi Inari shrine (on the JR kyoto-Nara line). the walk up a small mountain takes 4 hrs return but can be cut part way. the path goes under several thousands red torii in the forest and there are lots of small shrines, with statues of foxes, along the way. culture and exercise...don't forget also that Kyoto is just a bit more than 1 hr away from Himeji castle,the biggest, and one of the most beautiful, in Japan. what boy doesn't like castles and samourais?
Osaka is also close to Kyoto and there is a great aquarium definitely worth seeing.. and what about the Toei Movieland in the suburbs of Kyoto, with sets of old Japan and actors playing Ninjas and samourais. corny but fun..
Kyoto railway station is also an unusual sight. 2 middle age ladies friends of mine, who usually divide their time between museums and department stores, spent hours there, exploring everyt corner, from the basement to the walkway right under the glass roof.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

I'll second Kyoto 2007/7/30 19:00
for the Toei Eigamura mentioned above and also easy travel (daytrip) to Osaka to Universal Studios.....I loved them both & I'm an 'oldie'!!
by oldie rate this post as useful

both 2007/7/31 04:39
We took our 12 y/o granddaughter to both places and she loved them. Even did a Zazen with her at Daitokuji. At the risk of sounding sexist, and based on experience, I think girls have a bit easier time appreciating temples, etc, than most boys. But, if you educate your grandchild about what he'll be seeing before you go, you might stimulate more interest. And, both Kyoto and Nara have enough variety (if you look for it) to satisfy most boys also. How about Toei Uzumasa Eiga Mura, a boat ride on the Nagara River (hope I'm remembering the river's name rightly), and Fushimi Inari Shrine in and near Kyoto? In Nara certainly Nara Koen with all the deer (he'd love how they bow to get deer crackers), and Todaiji are musts. Have fun!
by Tay rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto or Nara 2007/7/31 06:22
I took my kids to 11, 15 to both Kyoto and Nara, and they liked both places, however the highlight of the 11 yea old was the monkey park in Arashiyama.
by Mike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread