Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Cinemas 2007/7/29 23:21
If I watch an English language film in Japan at the cinema, are they usually subtitled or dubbed?
by I'm With Stupid  

cinema 2007/7/30 15:19
the movie itself will be in English with Japanese subtitle.
by eric rate this post as useful

Japanese cinemas 2007/7/31 11:26
Stupid,

Just to add...
Animated films are usually dubbed. Popular family-oriented films (such as Harry Potter) are often shown in both subtitled and dubbed versions.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Pixar movies 2007/7/31 14:02
One exception with Pixar movies is that Pixar has this policy that they will not subtitle their movies shown in movie theatres--the reason being that the subtitles distracts the eyes from the actions. That was the case for Cars, I'm not sure about their previous shows.

So if you go see Ratatouille in Japan right now, you won't get to see it in English.
by Dave in Arizona (soon Tokyo) rate this post as useful

To Dave in Saitama 2007/7/31 14:29
Just to add...
Animated films are usually dubbed. Popular family-oriented films (such as Harry Potter) are often shown in both subtitled and dubbed versions.

I agree with the above about films on TV, but disgree about the films at cinemas. Most foreign films are subtitled, and only those for children are dubbed or have both versions alternatively.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/31 14:34
To "." I'm a bit confused as to what you disagree with what Dave in Saitama has said. He pretty much said the same thing you said. So you're more in agreement then disagreement. @_@
by John rate this post as useful

Just to reiterate... 2007/7/31 14:48
Mr/Ms Anonymous wrote:

Most foreign films are subtitled, and only those for children are dubbed or have both versions alternatively.

If you say so.
Although a quick look at the schedule for my local multiplex cinema shows "Ratatouille" and "Shrek 3" shown as dubbed versions, and "Harry Potter" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" as both dubbed and subtitled versions. Isn't that what I said in my previous post? I wasn't talking about films on TV, since the original poster was specifically asking about films at the cinema.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

? 2007/8/1 13:57
I think they just thought that family oriented films and films for children are different. Most know that both terms mean the same thing.
by BB rate this post as useful

reply to this thread