Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving To Japan? 2007/7/30 16:57
Ok I have a few questions. The major problems we have right now would be to obtain a work visa, neither my husband (american) or myself have a bachelors degree, but he would consider teaching english as a second language.

We are also into martial arts and hope to train in japanese professional wrestling and work at there shows (eventually). So maybe a cultural visa?

We want to move to Japan, for a year, 2 maybe even make a residency there.

Whats the best way to go about this? Is there any other way besides getting a bachelors degree?

Also if he does get a bachelors degree and goes to work in English as a Second Language teacher what about me? Do I get a visa status because he's there? I wouldn't want to sit in America without him but I can't seem to find any information on spouse visa status's and how they work.

Thanks
by Aurora  

.... 2007/8/2 10:08
A work visa as instructor requires a university degree or a license as instructor (not sure which types of licenses are recognized by the Japanese governemnt).

Requirements for the various work visa types are listed here:
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/appendix1.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/2 10:12
For the second part of your question:
IF your American husband finds work in Japan and work under the employer-sponsored work visa, the spouse (I am assuming you are also American?) will be eligible for "dependent" visa. ("Spouse visa" is a term normally used to refer only to the spouse of a Japanese national.) This allows you to come to Japan and stay with your spouse during the duration of his work here, with some part-time work allowed (I believe) upon additional application.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/2 10:36
As mentioned there are different categories of visas. If your husband did qualify for a work visa (ie he has a bachelors degree and gets a job in Japan) you can apply for a Dependent Visa (spouse visa is if you are married to a Japanese national.
If you come on a dependent visa you are not initially allowed to work, but it is possible to apply for permission to work, but part-time only. This might be ok or not, depending on how long you plan to stay in Japan, if you plan to make Japan permanent then it might be advantagous to get a degree for yourself as well so you can also get a full work visa. But it depends on the financial situations you findyourself in.

Hope that helps.
by John rate this post as useful

no degree 2007/8/2 21:34
Aurora has said that neither she nor her husband have Bachelor's degrees, and I'M guessing neither of them has 3 years' ESL experience, which pretty much only leaves cultural or student visas.

I'm afriad that without degrees it is very unlikely you will be able to stay in Japan long-term.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/3 02:30
Yes,but she also asked that what the options are if her husband did get a degree.
by John rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/8/5 17:18
Thanks guys! You answered a lot of my questions. I currently get disability for my depression, while I lived in Japan, does anyone have any idea if I would no longer get SSI from america?

Thanks again for all your replies! You are much help and it is appreciated.
by Aurora rate this post as useful

reply to this thread