Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Opinions on Our Itinary 2007/7/31 16:46
Below is the first draft of our itinary. We are two women planning to spend 14 days around Japan on a budget between £1000 and £1500 between us (not inc. planes and rail cards)

Early April

Day 1 – Arrive at Narita airport and transfer to Tokyo
Day 2 – Tokyo
Day 3 – Tokyo
Day 4 – Kamakura day trip
Day 5 – Day trip to Nikko
Day 6 – Takayama
Day 7 – Kyoto
Day 8 – Kyoto
Day 9 – Kyoto
Day 10 – Himeji Castle half day, then in Kyoto
Day 11 – Nara day trip, evening in Kyoto
Day 12 – Tokyo
Day 13 – Tokyo
Day 14 – Tokyo and Depart

What do people think? We were concerned that maybe we are spending too much time in Kyoto and Tokyo, or will we need this much time to be able to explore more thoroughly?

Thankyou in advance for your opinions and suggestions.
by Traveller Girls  

- 2007/8/1 00:52
In my opinion that's too much time in Tokyo. It's not that Tokyo doesn't warrant that much time if you're really interested in it, but there are so many other places to see that I'd reevaluate that.
by Tay rate this post as useful

not very bad 2007/8/1 00:55
by ... rate this post as useful

I see... 2007/8/1 00:56
If I were to take maybe two of those Tokyo days out, should I spend longer at one of the locations I am already visiting, or are there other places you would suggest we visit with those days?
by Traveller Girls rate this post as useful

ideas 2007/8/1 06:56
What by suggested looks pretty good. Another idea would be to spend an extra night in Takayama, and then use the other day in Tokyo for a day trip to Hakone. The Hakone round is well worth doing.

Cormorant fishing 2007/8/1 12:24
Though it depends on the date, how about the genuine cormorant fishing in Seki city on your way to Takayama. You can see the working cormorants and fisherman at close range.
by Craftsman rate this post as useful

^_^ 2007/8/1 17:51
Hmmm, I didn't consider visiting Hakone. I may well do that! And another night in Takayama would be nice, as it looks beautiful there... after the madness of tokyo it will be a nice change.

As for the cormorant fishing, would that take place in early April?

. 2007/8/2 03:16
Stay an extra night in Takayama and on the second day visit Shirakawago.
by Nana rate this post as useful

- 2007/8/2 07:35
I don't know about Seki, but at Inuyama the Ukai had just started when we visited in mid May.
If you do decide to do the Hakone round, I'd recommend doing it in reverse which reduces the waiting times for the various transportation venues. And don't miss the Hakone Open Air Museum!

Cormorant fishing 2007/8/2 07:54
Cormorant fishing takes place in May-Oct.
I quite agree with Nana-san. Tkayama and Shirakawago are good places.
by Craftsman rate this post as useful

Ah.. 2007/8/2 18:14
So we will miss the fishing, unfortunatly.

Nana, what is there to do in Shirakawago? Is there anything particularly special there?

Google it, please 2007/8/3 01:29
by ... rate this post as useful

comments on travel plans 2007/8/4 17:20
hi there,

your travel plans look good but i would have to agree that you are probably putting aside too much time for tokyo. i travelled to japan for the first time last year and spent about 2 weeks there and of all the places i visited tokyo was probably where i could have cut out the most time. it's great fun but in hindsight i would have spent longer in kyoto - so much to see there. also i strongly recommend that you visit Hiroshima - that was one of my favourite places.

hope you have a great trip!
by foujita rate this post as useful

reply to this thread