Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

car or train for big family? 2007/8/2 13:00
Hi

Travelling to Japan in November. Couple of questions:

1) We are a large family - 2 adults, 5 children (ages 12, 11, 6, 4, 2). WOuld you recommend including Kyoto in the itinerary? We will be there from Nov 17 t0 25 (about 10 days). We plan to spend 2 days in Disney Resort alone. Given the little time, would it be advisable to go to Kyoto as well?

2) Would it be more cost-effective to drive from Tokyo to Kyoto (and back?)? Or most cost-effective to take the shinkansen? If we take the JR Rail Pass, it would be quite a big outlay - counted as 3 adults and 2 kid tickets.

Thanks for all your input!
by mamacat  

... 2007/8/4 16:50
If you arrive in Tokyo on November 17 and leave on 25, that's 8 days. On the first day and last days, (17&25) you don't have much time to explore the city. So, it means you have only 6 days.

If you spend 2 days in Disneyland, you have only 4 days which you can use for sightseeing or whatever.

Tokyo (and its surroundings) have a lot to see. I think you can easily spend 4 days just to see what is happening in Tokyo. If you want to see something different from the city, you can take a day trip to Kamakura/Hakone/Nikko.

Considering the size of your party, I don't recommend to go to Kyoto.
by J Lady rate this post as useful

I agree with J Lady 2007/8/4 18:11
This time, you should see most interesting of Kanto region(Tokyo area). And next time, when your children get older, you can experience Kansai region(Kyoto, Osaka and surroundings)

See regional itinerary;
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html
by ... rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/8/5 14:37
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if it was too much of a rush. Just felt it seems a pity to go all the way to Japan and NOT see Kyoto!!

Guess it gives me a good excuse to go back someday?

by mamacat rate this post as useful

Accommodation 2007/8/13 16:40
Where are you staying? I have the same size family and am struggling to find accommodation.
by niclin rate this post as useful

accomodation 2007/8/13 16:54
I am also struggling to find cheap accomodation for 4 children and 4 adults. Do let me know if you can find one.
by Joyce rate this post as useful

Tokyo and Kyoto 2007/8/14 14:39
There is so much to see and do in Tokyo that I would leave Kyoto for another trip - unless you are already planning to buy JR passes for all.
The best holidays (paticularly with kids) are to be had when you plan carefully and see just a few things, but see them well.

thanks + itinerary - comments? 2007/8/14 18:22
Thanks Niclin. I found the JTB free and easy package that covers Hakone and Kyoto and this makes it a lot cheaper than buying the JR pass. So we will be going to Tokyo and Kyoto after all.

Thanks for your advice abt not rushing it. I agree. With kids, it gets a bit harder.

We won't try to see everything. But I think both places will be a good mix of what Japan is all about. But we will be very selective and prepared for lots of breaks.

So the itinerary roughly goes like this:

Day 1 arrive in Tokyo (we arrive separately on different flights). Not sure what we can do at night since my plane arrives at 6pm. My husband will arrive earlier at 2pm so he might have time to explore a bit more than me.

Day 2 Asakusa and the water bus down to Odaiba. We will take the Yurikamome train on the return journey.

Day 3 Disneyland

Day 4 DisneySea

Day 5 We leave early for Hakone. Overnight in Hakone.

Day 6 Leave Hakone in the morning for Kyoto. Cover part of eastern Kyoto in the afternoon.

Day 7 Either Arashiyama, or Osaka Aquarium.

Day 8 Catch shinkansen back to Tokyo. Arrive in the afternoon/evening. Night in Shinjuku.

Day 9 Morning in Meiji-jingu, a bit of shopping and then leave by 3pm to catch a 7pm flight back.

Comments? Thanks!

big family 2007/8/14 18:49
Hi mamacat,

Can I know where you get the JTB free and easy package and how much per pax.

Thanks.
by joyce rate this post as useful

hi joyce 2007/8/14 21:16
Hi Joyce

I got it here:
http://www.jtbgmt.com/sunrisetour/ex/

It costs 26,900 per adult. Includes shinkansen to hakone, to kyoto, back to tokyo and one nights accomodation in hakone and in kyoto. we will be extending the kyoto segment.

Good trip 2007/8/15 17:34
You itinerary looks great - the Hakone area is beautiful - lakes - Fujiisan- and the like. Even if you get in late to Tokyo on the day you arrive - don't waste the hours. Kyoto is fantastic as well - Ginkakuji, Kinkakuji, Nijo-jo, Heian, more temples than you will ever wish to see. The path of philosophy is a lovely walk down from the NE of the city back towards Kyoto station. Trains and buses in Kyoto are easy - as is walking. Just stay away from the nightclubs and clip joints (with large chaps in suits spruiking outside) later at night. As with many Japanese cities - the food is outstanding and cheap.

thanks niclin. question abt food pls. 2007/8/15 17:49
Thanks Niclin! Just wondering abt food. Would it be possible to get food for abt 700yen per person in Tokyo/Kyoto? I am speculating that this would be largely restricted to ramen joints and fast food restaurants and convenience stores? Would you also know if stand-up eat-n-run ramen joints at the train stations are necessarily cheaper?

Thanks! Just trying to get a feel of the budget.

Food 2007/8/15 18:29
Plenty of bento as well as noodles available at train stations - (and yest they are cheap) just be careful to check what you are getting if you are a little fussy - but if you eat sushi and pickles etc no problems. The Department stores often have food halls (either in the lower ground or top floors) - these can be great cheap sources of food. You should have no problem keeping to a budget for lunch - dinner can be a bit more - many budget restaurants have their meals on display with prices (tonkatsu, oyakodonburi, curry rice, and the like) just point to what you want and hold up your fingers for the number (I am presuming you don't speak japanese).
Overall I think you will find budgeting for food relatively easy. Another tip - learn the characters for the numbers (1-10) often prices are japanese character first followed by zeroes.
While travelling pick up a handful of bentos that you can carry with you and eat along the way.

Thanks again! 2007/8/15 18:40
Thanks for the tips Niclin. Am very excited about the coming trip. THink the kids are also very psyched!

only one hitch now - hostel is closed for some building work which brings me back to square 1 in my search for accomodation.

reply to this thread