Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

Resources for dogs in Tokyo 2007/8/3 14:25
I've just moved to Tokyo; I have a research position at the University. My dog will be coming to live with me in November (I've taken care of all the requirements, and someone is traveling with her.)

I was wondering if there were any other dog owners in the city who could point me in the direction of some good resources. For example, are there any dog parks, or other places where dogs can go to play and exercise?

Thanks.
by Bob  

... 2007/8/5 22:23
KOMAZAWA PARK in SETAGAYA ward is known for the most dog-friendly park and there're many dog-related shops, cafe where you can take your dog near the park.

http://www.petoffice.co.jp/komazawa/ (Japanese)
by J Lady rate this post as useful

Good news 2007/8/6 12:23
Thank you. I was warned against bringing my dog to Japan because "they treat their dogs differently over there."

However, I've seen many dogs out each morning and evening in the short time I've been here, and they all look happy. I even was allowed to pet some of them. So it's great to learn of this park too. I understand that dogs are also allowed in Uneo Park, but they must be kept on the leash.
by Bob rate this post as useful

happy dogs 2007/8/6 12:40

I believe dogs are well loved in Japan. Seen many happy dogs of different sizes and breeds in a park ( or playground ) just behind Asukusa temple.
by tju rate this post as useful

Dog food 2007/10/18 08:25
I'm reviving my old thread because my dog is coming in three weeks. I'm very excited.

My question is: are there any particular brands of dog food better than others? My dog doesn't have any special diet needs, but I still don't want to buy poor quality food either. In the USA, she ate Iams brand.

woof 2007/10/18 14:12
I'm sure they have high quality foods for pets in Japan. Have you looked around? You may want to do that before your dog arrives. I buy beef sticks-vitacraft made in Japan from Pet Mart here in the USA.
Pets should be leashed at all times in the public areas so they are controlled and be safe. We have leash laws here in the USA as well.
We buy natural or organic, no grain pet foods from pet specialty food stores. Best brand is Evo.
Have you tried cooked meat, chicken or fish with sweet potatoes, yellow squash, carrots and zukini? Dogs love that stuff, just put all cooked in gredience in the blender until pureed and serve.
by cc rate this post as useful

Eukanuba 2007/10/19 12:40
We feed our little Shiba Inu and two other dogs Eukanuba brand of dry food for breakfast. At night, they are given unpolished rice with carrot, green vegetable and beef. We have the home-cooked food cooked and prepared for one month supply and kept in the freezer. Lucky dogs !
by tju rate this post as useful

Choices 2007/10/19 12:53
Thank you for the information. I haven't looked around specifically for dog food because I haven't really had the time, and this forum is a good place to gather information. I was asking for a decent quality dog food on par with Iams because the selection in my nearby supermarket was limited and I just don't have the time to go out searching for brands.

Unfortunately, for my dog, I am on a tight budget, so I can't afford to make her home-prepared meals, though she does like rice once and a while. I'll keep an eye out for this Eukanuba brand food.

Iams makes Eukanuba 2007/10/19 13:14
Just so you know Iams (the company) makes Eukanuba (the dog food).
by JS rate this post as useful

GONTA by SUNRISE 2007/10/19 15:47
Pls refer to folloing site;
http://www.gontaclub.com/index.jsp?SI=3351271192776189023&Ha...

My dog (Bichon Frise) like these foods.
by yumi rate this post as useful

Gonta 2007/10/20 15:32
yumi, is this a store for real? Or is this an online shop only? Thanks.

for yor doggy 2007/10/20 15:37
you must be very exciting to meet with your loving dog again live together in different town. she must be very busy discoverying her new teritory :)

well,my advise(you might probably know already)is to please give an antirabies serum injection and don't forget to register her at your local public office,in some cities they are mandatory.
by mimu rate this post as useful

iiwa! 2007/10/20 16:40
I go with that chicken white, vegetables and maguro.
Sasami, yasai & maguro, wow, only in Japan!
We got salmon and other fish included in pet foods but they won't use maguro parts of tuna for pets around here.
This is just wonderful.
Thanks for the site.
by cc rate this post as useful

GONTA is available at any shops! 2007/10/24 10:16
Dear Bob,

Gonta goods are available in any shops.. especially, home centers locate in the suburbs of Tokyo, offer reasonable and discount price for Gonta and other pet foods.
Hope you enjoy living with your dog!
by yumi rate this post as useful

Dog 'clean up' items. 2007/11/2 09:40
In the US, we have to pick up after our pets when they 'do their business' so to speak. Obviously, this is true here in Tokyo also. Is there any shop that sells small bags for this purpose? I didn't see anything in the grocery stores that I frequently go to.

... 2007/11/2 15:05
At many supermarkets and home stores they sell special bags for picking up the "business." I used to buy this kind that came with a little pouch that you attach to your leash so that it's always handy.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

dog-sitter 2007/11/2 21:55
Moving to Tokyo w/small dog and worrying about finding a dog sitter for when we go on holiday. Is it easy to find someone to watch a pet in their home?
by Maxie rate this post as useful

Bob 2008/2/5 16:16
I'm bumping the thread back up...I have to go to a conference next month, and I'll be unable to bring my dog with me. Since, I'll be regularly attending conferences over the next year or so, I'd like to ask where/how I can find a reliable kennel or hotel where my dog can stay? (She's 2 y/o, about 7 kg.)

I'm trying to search on my own, but personal recommendations from other dog owners would be great.
by Pet boarding: kennel, hotel, etc. rate this post as useful

DOG INC 2008/7/11 01:53
We send our dog to Dog Inc and the owner, Mr. Yamada speaks perfect English.
Dog Inc comes highly recommended through most English-speaking dog owners here in Tokyo.

by Evejp rate this post as useful

Over the counter remedies 2008/8/5 09:32
The heat has been rough on my poor little dog this summer. She's got a bit of a heat rash on her chest and belly, and her constant scratching isn't helping. Hasn't stopped her from trying to hunt down all those stray cats though!

Does anyone know of some type of remedy I can buy to treat it?
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 24

1 2
next

reply to this thread