Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ukon no chikara 2007/8/4 01:12
Hi,

I have seen a drink in a 7eleven named Ukon no chikara. It was in the health department along with things like aromatic oxygen and all that. I tried to ask what ukon was but my still limited japanese was only good enough to understand that the clerk was trying to tell me something about the stomach. I dont know if he was trying to explain the effects but i clearly asked what ukon was.

When i search for ukon on google i get all types of pages about sakura but i did find this image (http://homepage1.nifty.com/kanen/ukon.gif) in this page (http://homepage1.nifty.com/kanen/ukon.htm) and that is definitely the image on the bottle.

If someone would please explain me what it is i would be appreciated because i was kinda curious about it. Also,some other things like placenta drinks are found in those kind of stores, so its really weird.

Still havent got around to see Portable Air Conditioner Cans or Pepsi Ice Cucumber, though lol.
by Musashi  

Ukon 2007/8/5 15:28
Musashi,

Ukon is Japanese for turmeric.

I think Pepsi Cucumber has finished, by the way.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Already? 2007/8/5 18:45
Finished? They hardly started selling it!! Talk about a fluke
by Musashi rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/5 18:52
Oh man, I kind of wanted to try Cucumber Pepsi. It does seem to have disappeared though- unsurprisingly...
by Sira rate this post as useful

hangover prevention 2008/11/27 19:01
From what I've been told by my Japanese friends, Ukon no Chikara is something you drink before you go out drinking to prevent a hangover the next day.
by keitorin rate this post as useful

1 year later 2008/11/27 19:19
I wasn't expecting an answer so much time after i asked it but yeah, in the past year i also learned that. I went to Japan again on holiday and bought a few :P Might come in handy lol
Thank you for your response, i'm very appreciated.
by Musashi rate this post as useful

Ukon Power! 2009/2/5 10:00
Take one before drinking, and then again after drinking/or in the morning. Turmeric helps to protect your liver, and also is used to treat headaches. An essential purchase for a big night out, for many Japanese people.
by Meena (guest) rate this post as useful

ukon 2009/2/5 12:02
The herb ukon is commonly known in Japan and so is the spice turmeric (pronounced "taa-me-rikku" in Japanese). But not many Japanese know that ukon is as same as turmeric. Hence the clerks attitude.

As we all know, spices and herbs were originally ancient medicine. Ukon was imported to Japan from Asian countries centuries ago, and has been known as Chinese medicine that is supposed to be good for your health, in particular your liver. Meanwhile, turmeric was imported from either India or via Europe and is known as a yellow spice to put in curry or Indian style rice.

If you go to a drug store in Japan, you can find ukon sold in various versions. Among them, Ukon No Chikara is just a handy portable drink that has been widely advertised on the media.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

indeed 2010/2/15 23:17
Yes, I confirm all the above. Besides, UKON (called also Turmeric or Curcuma in Europe and US) can be found in the form of powder or little tablets. Hope this help.
by japan culture (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread