Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

English to Kanji translation! 2007/8/7 09:59
Im trying to get a tattoo of the japanese kanji symbols for relentless and fearless. I searched other posts and one of them came up with what I think may have been some kanji characters for fearless but I was unsure of which ones were which. I dont mind if the translation come out to be two or more symbols. Thanks for any help! Very appreciated!
by itachikage  

... 2007/8/7 23:58
Well you can have either 厳しい or 酷しい for "relentless". The translation in the dictionary says
"(adj) (1) severe, strict, rigid, unsparing, relentless, (2) stern, austere, grave, solemn, majestic, (3) intense (cold)"
I don't know if this is the meaning you want to get across since it commonly means "strict".
the other for relentless is 厳めしい and it means the same thing. You say it like ikameshii while the other two are kibishii.

放胆 is fearless. There are other variations which also carry the meanings, intrepid, bold, tough.
精悍
不敵

did you want a sentence of these put together? Like "Fearless and relentless"? In Japanese, grammatically, it wouldn't make sense just to put them next together. The sentence would be "放胆と厳しい" for example.
by Miko rate this post as useful

tattoo 2007/8/8 02:45
I wanted to put fearless characters on my right wrist and then relentless characters on my left. The meaning for relentless that I wanted to get across was never giving up, just over and over again. So all I really needed were the two words seperatly. Thank you for your help though!
by itachikage rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/8 03:26
in that case, doing the negative form of 諦める (akimeru - to give up) might work.
諦めない (akimenai) means the opposite.
Also perhaps 頑張る (ganbaru) which means (v5r) to persist, to insist on, to stand firm, to try one's best, (P) would work too i think. Usually people say "ganbatte!" implying "do your best!" before taking on a challenge.
If anyone knows of a specific word that might work, please help.

so... 2007/8/8 07:27
so is ganbaru closly related to ganbatte? ive heard ganbatte before and now that you mention it i would love to have those characters on my wrist. thank you for your help!

ganbatte 2007/8/8 11:43
ganbatte is actually a conjugation of ganbaru. It is the -te form of ganbaru which turns it into a command. So instead of meaning "to do one's best" it means "do your best!"
by miko rate this post as useful

soo... 2007/8/8 21:39
is the characters for ganbatte the same as ganbaru? and are these all japanese characters? i copied and pasted the first two that you gave me and it said they were chinese ~_~! but it might be cause its only dumb word.

... 2007/8/8 23:52
yes. Since ganbatte is a conjugation of ganbaru, their kanji characters are the same.

頑張る (ganbaru)
頑張って (ganbatte)

It's like if we said "I go" as a present tense and the command then would turn into "go now!" the verb does not change.

The characters could also be Chinese. Japanese borrowed the Chinese writing system a long time ago, but eventually they were no longer required to use all of them as they can use hiragana and katakana for Japanese words, or kanji that are simply too difficult. Mao also gave the Chinese a simplified text for them to use, which made some more difference between the Chinese characters and Kanji. Even though the characters are more simplified, the Chinese still have a much more extensive knowledge of their characters than the Japanese. They also may both use the same exact kanji in their everyday life, but the meanings can sometimes vary. For example, 私 (watashi) in Japanese means "me, I, myself" while in Chinese (depending on the Chinese language, they would say it different), it would mean "private" and not meant for a first person noun.

my friend from Szechwan 2007/8/9 00:34
I recently asked my friend about the kanji you were wondering about, and he actually said all of them are Chinese. Which doesn't surprise me. But he wouldn't be able to know if a Japanese person would know the kanji or not. Nevertheless, if you got both ganbaru and 不敵 (futeki - fearless) and only the characters without the hiragana, I'm sure a Chinese person and a Japanese person would understand and wouldn't think you're a silly foriegner that's oblivious to what your tattoo says.

don't 2008/7/21 13:23
i'd say if you can't read kanji, don't get it. in japan and china, people would laugh at you for tattooing kanji on yourself. it looks pretty stupid. if you want those words tattooed on your body, do it in english. if that sounds stupid....then your idea is pretty stupid.
by aya rate this post as useful

reply to this thread