Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Present for a friend getting married 2007/8/9 21:17
What kind of present should I send my Japanese friend who's getting married in Japan? I live in Australia. Should I send money or a present or just a card?
Thanks for your advice!
by fritzblacksmith  

... 2007/8/10 10:23
How about sending a small gift with a card?
When I got married (ages ago!), I received beautiful tea towels and table cloth from my friends in NZ. They're not so heavy to send and be very useful. The tea towels got a bit tattered but I still adore them:)

Well, just my thought...
by J Lady rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/10 10:33
Unless you are attending the wedding ceremony/banquet in person, you don't have to send money :)
Just anything that you would give to your friends in Australia on their wedding would be fine; a beautiful card would be fine too. Has your friend been to Australia? Maybe a good photo book on Australia as a way to get the couple interested to travel there? :) The tea towel idea by J Lady sounds good too.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/10 10:38
Just avoid things that are fragile (glasses, ceramic) and even numbers which imply separation, and anything thoughtful will be fine.
by Miki-chan rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/8/10 10:50
Thanks for the thoughtful advice!
by Fritzblacksmith rate this post as useful

money or gift 2007/8/11 18:45
You can still send money if u like. If they are having a big wedding, a monetary gift will help them out with expenses. There's some info here about wedding and funeral money gifts
http://japansugoi.com/wordpress/japanese-wedding-and-funeral-money/
by Rick rate this post as useful

Well... 2007/8/12 02:30
If you intend to send them a houseware gift, it is best to see if they have a gift list or not, so they don't end up with several of the same thing.

I really liked the tea-towel idea, though! You can never have enough tea-towels! Either that, or perhaps some embroidery or cross-stitch (made by yourself or commissioned), personalised with the details of their marriage?
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Blue and red couple of glasses 2007/8/29 13:52
I had got married and got from my Japanese colleague pair of glasse. they are looks like water glasses, one of them is blue and the other is red. I am sure that there is some explanation behind this which I would like to understand.
thanks, Elan
by Elan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread