Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

17 days Toyko, 7 day JR Pass 2007/8/10 06:25
Hello,

we will be in Tokyo for 17 full days starting in mid September. I read this page for a few weeks and started to plan our own trip a few days ago. so far i got this plan:

day 2- 6: tokyo (looking around and do usual tourist things, disneyland, fishmarked, shopping,..)
day 7-10: tokyo game show (on of the main reasons for the trip ^^)
day 11-17: get a JR pass for 7 days and do several day trips
day 18: back to the airport in the morning

we already got the hotel in tokyo i'm looking for things to do on one day and return to tokyo in the evening.
So far on my list is Kyoto, Nikko and visit some factory outlet near tokyo (bayside outlet for example) for a day each.

is the JR pass usesfull for a trip to mt fuji as well? i found out that the season for mt fuji is nearly over when we arrive mid september so
i guess its better to plan a day trip within the first days and pay for the train/bus without JR pass right? is a single day to mt fuji in mid september worth it?

i also want to buy a japanese laptop and would not mind to travel somewhere to buy one. or is akihabara usually the best place to look for one?

can anyone tell me if there is a ''ichiran ramen'' in tokyo? i saw the forms you can order your ramen and already love the idea :)
i found the page but the address is in japanese http://www.ichiran.co.jp/pc/hp/english/index.html

anything already wrong with the plan or is it a good start? we are a group of 5 people and like shopping, computer/games but some culture would be fine too..

thanks a lot :)
chris
by Chris  

Ichiran Ramen 2007/8/10 09:36
Chris,

can anyone tell me if there is a ''ichiran ramen'' in tokyo? i saw the forms you can order your ramen and already love the idea :)
i found the page but the address is in japanese http://www.ichiran.co.jp/pc/hp/english/index.html

There are several in Tokyo. The page below (in Japanese) lists them with maps, but the easiest to find may be the one inside Ueno Station (near platform 9/10). I've been there once, but they didn't have that odd order form system. It is definitely recommended if you like Hakata ramen.

http://www.ichiran.co.jp/pc/hp/tenpo/tenpo2.html

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Ramen yummy 2007/8/10 10:31
why not visit hakata and enjoy the hakata ramen in its own city?
by Tom Cruise rate this post as useful

Why not? 2007/8/10 10:38
Tom,

why not visit hakata and enjoy the hakata ramen in its own city?

Because it costs about 40,000 yen from Tokyo and takes a day to get there and back?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Kyoto as a day trip form Tokyo 2007/8/13 21:51
Only when you include Kyoto into your day excursions a 7 day JR Rail Pass makes sense. But note for a daytrip this means lv Tokyo with an early morning hikari shinkansen at 06.36 h or 07.06 h arrive Kyoto 09.20 h or 09.43 h return last hikari lv Kyoto 20.39 h arr Tokyo 23.19 h. If you do not go to Kyoto a day excursion to Fuji area or Hakone and to Nikko is cheaper by individual tickets.
by Peter rate this post as useful

thanks! 2007/8/17 22:42
Thanks for the information!

we just picked up our JR papers for september. Is there another daytrip from tokyo like kyoto which gives us 10 hours at the destination? would Kusatsu be an option or is it difficult to reach by JR? or anything else with "hot springs" (Onsen)?

something different.. is there a special place to go for Mochi Fans in or outside tokyo? ^^
by Chris rate this post as useful

Kusatsu and Matsushima 2007/8/18 01:22
All covered by JR Rail Pass:
Kusatsu Onsen: There is a direct JR Limited Express ( first lv 7.20 h Ueno station not Tokyo station ) Ueno - NaganoharaKusatsuguchi connects to a JR bus to Kusatsu Onsen.
An other glong distance day triph: Matsushima: Tokyo JR shinkansen Sendai JR local MatsushimaKaigan, walking distance to coast. Timetables see under www.hyperdia.com. English version available.

day trips / JR Pass 2007/8/18 02:07
Thank you very much Peter, a day at the coast sounds like a very good idea!

how many days in advance should we reserve our sits? is it a good idea to check all sits (we are 5 people) for all 3 day trips (kyoto, coast and hot springs) at the airport when we pick up the JR pass? that would be 10 days before the first day trip.

thanks again!
by Chris rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/18 06:55
You should have little difficulties making seat reservations just a few days before travel or even on the day of travel itself.

Just beware of the two long weekends in the second half of September, during which there might be increased traffic to tourist destinations (on the first day of the long weekend) and in the opposite direction (on the last day of the long weekend):
http://www.japan-guide.com/event/?aMONTH=9&aYEAR=2007
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR seat reservation 2007/8/18 21:29
You can make all seat reservations after exchange to the Pass at the airport, already. But if there are many people in line behind you, please accept that they only reserve the next Narita Express and ask you to make the other reservations at any other JR station.

reply to this thread