Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stess of being a gaijin? How to deal. 2007/8/12 11:18
So, I am going to Japan soon, and every time I read about how gaijin are treated, I don't know how to deal with it. I am a 16 year old black girl, who wants and entertainment visa. How do you other 'gaijin' deal with stress of being a gaijin (those who live in japan). And how do you black women deal with stress of being a gaijin??
Do you ever get frustrated and nervous to even go out sometimes?
by Tasha  

. 2007/8/13 12:05
Generally my rule is that if someone is staring at me, stare at them right back. Instantly you'll see that they'll pretend that they never were staring and go on to their business.
Prejudice, like any other place, can happen in Japan, unfortunately. You can only overcome it by proving to yourself that it doesn't matter what they think and you can show them that you are as human as they are.
The largest problems you may encounter are reserving at a restaurant or finding a place to stay. If it is obviously apparent that they're discriminating against you, then go someplace else. People with that attitude don't deserve your business anyways.

Other than that, take it in stride and give it a laugh. You'll have a lot more fun if you enjoy the awkward stares, questions, etc.
by Miko rate this post as useful

You get used to it 2007/8/13 12:22
I have stopped to care about the stares. When i first came here, i noticed them a lot and got kinda annoyed by it, but as time progressed, i cared less and less. No i only care if i have a really bad day. But a most of the times, they don't have illintent when they stare, it's just that they're curious. I have gotten some bad stares though, especially from older men, but most people don't seem to really dislike gaikokujins(gaijin is actually kinda rude to use). But yeah, staring back helps. And remember, they're looking at all western-looking foreigners, so you're not alone :).
by Osakaite rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/13 12:31
Tasha, being a Japanese, my idea may be different from others. But please allow me to share my own experience.

I lived in several countries. While I was out of Japan, I was a gaijin there and it was stressful with different language, food and culture. I felt as if I were living in a soundless world when I couldn't understand what my friends told me in a fast English with a strong accent. I was infuriated when a police regarded me an easy prey and picked holes in me. Being a "gaijin" was indeed not easy.

But in hindsight, it was not so bad at all. As long as I was a gaijin, I could be freed from all the obligations of being a "native." Even if I did something stupid, I was tolerated as being a gaijin. People laughed at me and let it go.

In Japan, people may give a look at you but it's not because they think you're inferior but because they're not used to see a black girl or because they are just curious or admire your looking.

Enjoy your stay in Japan!
by J Lady rate this post as useful

slow down 2007/8/13 14:20
"Stess of being a gaijin? How to deal."-forget about that. you are 16, what do your parents have to say about that? And who will you stay with in Japan?
by In rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/13 14:55
There is a long thread with over 500 responses on "How black women are treated in Japan"
by John rate this post as useful

Visa 2007/8/13 19:45
Can you even get an entertainer visa if you're 16...?
by Tuli rate this post as useful

good thinking 2007/8/13 19:46
j lady i like the way you think.
by ebony rate this post as useful

How To Deal 2007/8/13 20:44
Hello, I am an 18 year old African american female. I, too, feel the pressure of being a gaijin.
I must admit that in the past I had my moments in which I would become nervous or disturbed, but the only time I had a major breakdown is when I was struggling with the language.

I stayed in Japan last year, and tomorrow I will be traveling there again. I promised myself that I would not let the staring get to me, nor pay any attention to it. People stare out of curiousity; it's IMPOSSIBLE to prevent that when you're a gaijin. Also, staring back never works for me. That sometimes results in the person giving me more intense stares. The best way to deal with it would be to ignore it, glance over and smile, or maybe say something.

The best way to deal would be..

A. Remind yourself that you are a novelty, so you will be given attention.

B. Don't isolate yourself. If you can't find someone to talk to, maybe join one of the many gaijin clubs or support groups.

C. Make Japanese penpals. They will be much more open to you, can explain things, and help you get through it.

D. Don't try to "be Japanese". Meaning, you are different, and you will always be. Stressing to become Japanese would just be a pointless struggle because it's not going to happen. You are different in this country, ACCEPT it.

E. After a while, trying to put on a "perfect" show for Japanese people tends to get tiring. By that I mean behaving excessively well to help improve our gaijin reputation. Take a break every now and then and just be yourself. Just don't do anything that you wouldn't do in your home country, or that is outrageous.

Uhm... I really hope I take my own advice. Hope this helps!
by niko-chan rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/13 20:50
Her question was "How to deal with stress", not necessarily how black women are treated in Japan.
by niko-chan rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/13 21:47
Stress is can easily be equated to how you are treated in Japan as well.

Less stress if you have less problems right?

Also someone brought it up..16 years old and an Entertainers visa?
by John rate this post as useful

age 2007/8/14 01:27
they never seem to mention anything about age. Though 18 and 20 are the big numbers in Japan (18 to drive and 20 to drink/smoke and be an official adult). I would say, email or go to a Japanese embassy near you and ask.
This is where I found some information.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html#a
by Miko rate this post as useful

me too! 2007/10/9 19:37
im an 18 year old living in Kagoshima...people stare at me ALL the time..just because im blonde...there just are not alot of foreiners here...and everyone really is just curious...normally smiling and waving or giving them a peace sign or something works for me...non of the stares ive gotten have been threating but you do get the occasionaly creepy guy...but i guess youd get that anywhere...

GOODLUCK!
by stine rate this post as useful

reply to this thread