Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

meaning of 'neko' 2007/8/12 21:25
i've heard that some man in japan called their girlfriend 'neko'. Is this true? why is it so?

puzzled....

thanks!!
by Xindy  

Neko 2007/8/13 10:11
Xindy,

Neko means "cat". I can't say I have heard it very often, but maybe some Japanese men call their girlfriends "neko". Why? Because cats are cute perhaps?
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

true 2007/8/14 01:40
i know this is true. My boyfriend was going out with one of our Japanese students before me, and he told me that she suddenly pretended to be a cat. She put up her hand in a shape of a cat paw, rubbed it on his shoulder and cuddled his shoulder with her head and started making cat noises.
Needless to say, he was very confused and asked, "Why are you doing that?" She said, "In Japan, some guys like women to be cats."

I don't think it was his thing.
by Miko rate this post as useful

kawaii 2007/8/14 03:31
I think they're pretty much in love with everything "kawaii". So how else to make a girl cuter than to have her act like a cat?
by Miko rate this post as useful

She 2007/8/14 08:59
was joking, right? Cute joke anyway :)
by Module rate this post as useful

Nukotan 2007/8/14 09:54
Miko wrote:

Needless to say, he was very confused and asked, "Why are you doing that?" She said, "In Japan, some guys like women to be cats."

What an incredibly dull boyfriend you have. The expected response should have been "Hang on a sec while I get your nekomimi and collar". ;-)

Module wrote:

She was joking, right? Cute joke anyway :)

I don't think so. It's not that uncommon even in my limited experience.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/14 12:52
Maybe he's dull.. but he's fun in other ways and I love him.
And yes, I'm serious.
by miko rate this post as useful

Well.. 2007/8/14 17:22
I guess it is the same as some western men calling their girlfriends/wives 'kitten'!
by Kelly rate this post as useful

kitty girls 2007/8/14 18:54
I've never heard anyone call someone "cat" though I have seen playboy characters in manga saying things like "look at these adorable kittens" when reffering to groups of girls.

But the playing kitty thing is pretty common- the "paw" up and "nyaa!" sound is considered absolutely adorable. And just look at the catgirl suits you can get everywhere :P
by Kate rate this post as useful

reply to this thread