Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka or Kyoto Help... 2007/8/13 23:11
I'll travelling from tokyo to kyoto/osaka(7 days JR pass). I want to go to Kyoto, Osaka, Hirosihma, Miyajima, Himeji, Nara.
Do I better staying more nights in osaka or kyoto?
i'm planning 4 nights osaka, 2 nights kyoto or just 6 nights at osaka?? is there any better idea?
Thanks alot
by Ehem  

... 2007/8/14 09:23
How about starting from Hiroshima, the most western city in your itinerary?

Day 1 : Tokyo to Hiroshima, O/N at Hiroshima or Miyajima
Day 2 : Miyajima, then move to Himeji, O/N at Osaka
Day 3 : Osaka
Day 4 : Osaka to Kyoto, O/N Kyoto
Day 5-6 : Kyoto (daytrip to Nara)
Day 7 : Kyoto to Tokyo
by J Lady rate this post as useful

Osaka or Kyoto 2007/8/14 11:47
It seems to me, based on what others have said and my own experience (and a quick look at the japan-guide site for both cities...it is no question which one has more to see) that Kyoto has considerably more to do than Osaka, though both are obviously good places to visit. I like J Lady`s itinerary as I remember doing something similar to that myself!
by Jon rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/14 11:52
It depends on the traveler/personal preference.

Kyoto and Osaka are close to each other (roughly 30 minutes by train) , so its not too far apart. If you are more of a nightlife person, then Osaka has more active nightlife then Kyoto. It is certainly possible to stay your entire trip in Osaka (say around the Umeda area) and make trips to Kyoto for the day (again its relatively close). So it depends on the traveler, certainly Kyoto is a nice wonderful city, and if you are staying away from the urban areas in a ryokan that would be nice, but if you are more urban Osaka is nice.
by John rate this post as useful

Osaka 0r Kyoto 2007/8/14 23:29
I don't think that i'll be travelling from tokyo to hirosihma because it takes 5-6hrs. (I'm travelling with a child, 4 year old). and I don't like staying in many different city. (too many things to carry)
I'm thinking about
Day 1:Tokyo-Osaka-Nara-Osaka
Day 2:Osaka-Hiroshima-Miyajima-Osaka
Day 3:Osaka-Himeji-osaka
Day 4:Osaka(universal Studio)
Day 5:Osaka-Kyoto
Day 6:Kyoto
Day 7:kyoto-tokyo
About Osaka, I'm thinking stay in Shinsaibashi. is it good compare to Umed or namba?
Thank You
by Ehem rate this post as useful

Osaka 2007/8/15 03:39
Shinsaibashi is a shopping area centered around the Shinsaibashi arcade (covered pedestrian street). It is located between Kita-Umeda and Minami-Namba but actually Shinsaibashi ends where Namba starts. I prefer to stay around Kita, especially when I have a JR PASS and will travel everyday outside Osaka. It is very easy to go from the JR Osaka station in Kita to anywhere else in the Kansai but not as easy if you stay in Namba or Shinsaibashi and do not want to also use the subway, only your JR pass. Please check the transportation pages on THIS SITE.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/15 03:45
If you are worried that Tokyo-Hiroshima is 5-6 hours.

Tokyo-Nara via Osaka is a 4+ hr trip one way. However i guess it is relief if you stay in the hotel for a bit then leave to Nara.

I would also recommend staying in the Umeda area (around Osaka/Umeda Stations) since its from those transport hubs you can get to Kyoto/Nara/Himeji etc easier than from else where in Osaka.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread