Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

beach near tokyo 2007/8/13 23:20
I tried to find a beach near Tokyo but couldn't,

Can any one suggest please.
Not too far from Tokyo, may be 1 hour by JR or so..

Thanks
by jp  

... 2007/8/14 09:34
Kamakura, Hayama in Shonan area (Kanagawa prefecture) and Boso are in Chiba prefecture.
by J Lady rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/14 09:35
Boso area, I mean.
by J Lady rate this post as useful

Beaches 2007/8/14 09:35
JP,

Try Odaiba or Enoshima.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Chigasaki 2007/8/14 11:59
A lot of people I`ve met cite Chigasaki Beach, very near Kamakura and on the way to Hakone, as one of their favorites. I sure would love to go there if I ever had the time!
by Jon rate this post as useful

I've never . . . 2007/8/14 13:47
. . . been there, but there is a 'beach' in nearby Mahukari area, the Inage Seaside Park. Just a stone's throw from Tokyo.

One of the nicer beaches close to Tokyo is by Hakkejima Sea Paradise near Yokohama. At least the sand isn't ashtray gray and cluttered with litter like in Zushi. It's a popular beach during clamming season also. But it's small and very crowded during summer.

There are couple of decent beaches in Chiba Peninsula that can be reached by express train in a timely fashion from Tokyo, such as Onjuku (rather resort-ish). You can rent bikes to get to the beach. Onjuku is known for lobsters, featured in restaurants in the area.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

depends 2007/8/14 17:21
It depends on what you expect in a beach.

Odaiba is the only beach inside Tokyo. It's not very pretty, but the area has lots of amenities like malls and fairs, and it's close to the city.

Chigasaki is most popular among surfers.

Hayama (with the Imperial family's seaside villa) is more of an all-around type, and it's also famous for its yacht harbors.

Kujuukuri of Chiba is the longest beach in Japan, if memory serves me right.

Even in the same area, there are beaches fit for teens, another for families and another for adults, etc. Some have waves, some don't, some are rocky with lots of interesting creatures.

Generally speaking, the Sagami Bay of Miura Peninsula, which includes areas like Miura, Hayama, Kamakura, Aburatsubo is where a lot of ordinary Tokyo-ers go for one day swimming trips. Most of the Peninsula is accessible by Keikyu train and then bus.

If you're thinking of spending the night, the Izu Peninsula might be even a better choice since the sea is slightly bluer.

So if you're too busy to compare, why not just hop on a Keikyu train that takes you straight to Miura Kaigan station with no extra express fee, and walk about 10 minutes to the beach of Miura Kaigan.

Otherwise, take a Keikyu train to Shin-zushi station, then change to a bus that goes towards Ishiki-kaigan, and as the bus reaches Hayama area, keep an eye for your favorite type of beach and get off on your journey back.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread