Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Backpacking Japan 2007/8/14 13:17
Hi,
i would like to visit japan on end of March and will landed on tokyo. I would like to know where would be the best place to go from Tokyo. Mount Fuji is on my list but i have no idea where other places to visit there is full of japan tradition. Hope anyone could help. Thanks
by chriswenny  

... 2007/8/14 23:49
by Uji rate this post as useful

osaka 2007/8/14 23:55
are you planning on leaving Japan from Osaka or another airport?
by Miko rate this post as useful

Places to Visit 2007/8/15 07:59
If you want to have a glimpse of traditional Japan, it all will depend on how long are you going to stay in Japan.

If you want to go on a backpackaging tour around Japan, I would recommend.

Tokyo
Tokyo- Niko (you can go to Nikko and get back to Tokyo in one day)
Kyoto (from Tokyo 3 to 5 hours by Shinkansen depending on how much money you can spend....Nozomi 3 hours, Hikari 4 hours..)
Kyoto is a must if you are looking for some traditional japan.

Nara. From Kyoto you can easily go to Nara and return at night.

Himeji castle (on the way from Kyoto to Hiroshima )
The best conserved castle in Japan.

Hiroshima-Mijajima...You must stay one night in Hiroshima and visit from there Mijajima (it is beautifil island where you will be able to find one of the most typical photographs of Japan. It is the Torii gate over the sea...worth a visit.

Other very interesting places to visit are:

Kamakura. Where you will be able to take a photo of the photogenic Daibutsu or Great Buda.

Kamakura is possible to reach in a one-day trip from Tokyo also.

Takayama in Honshu in the montains just some hours by train from Nagoya.

Hiraizumi. North from Sendai one of the most "out of the path" places I visited, I loved it.

If you like Youth Hostels, I stayed in Tokyo, Kyoto, Takayama, Hiraizumi, Hiroshima, youth hostels and all of them were Ok. If you can choose in Kyoto between Arashiyama Youth Hostel or Utano, take Arashiyama, it is closer to Gion and you will enjoy it much.

As I say, let us know the days you have and we will be able to give you better recommendations ¡¡¡
by jesus rate this post as useful

Stupid question but 2007/8/15 15:00
Hi all,

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic to the original question asked, and is not an answer to it either... but when backpacking/travelling (I'm a serious noob traveller) what do you do with your luggage?

Is it safe to leave it at your hostel/ryokan... carrying around only valuables etc?

Thank you
by Olin rate this post as useful

Pls Try This 2007/8/15 17:39
Chris San,
You may wish to check this page too;
outdoorjapan.com
It is an English/Japanese page and of course geared for your interests.
best of luck!
MP
by Mart rate this post as useful

luggage 2007/8/15 18:22
Olin,
Most hotels and many hostels ( check before you leave home country ) will store luggage between two stays, so you can travel with backpack only within Japan.
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread