Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving from Kusatsu to Nikko 2007/8/15 03:15
Has anyone driven the above route and how long roughly does it take (planning to drive next Feb) ? Are there any tricky bits along the way ?
Also planning to drive from Nikko direct to Narita, I guess the quickest way would be via Tokyo, right ? How long roughly should I plan for if I leave Nikko on a Monday morning for a 1620 flight out of Narita.
by mthk  

... 2007/8/15 09:06
Has anyone driven the above route and how long roughly does it take (planning to drive next Feb)?

I have driven it. It is about 140 kilometers from Kusatsu to Lake Chuzenji. About 3 hours without stops.

Are there any tricky bits along the way ?

In February, parts of the route could be snow covered.

Also planning to drive from Nikko direct to Narita, I guess the quickest way would be via Tokyo, right ?

Yes: Tohoku Expressway to Tokyo, then via S1 and C2 metropolitan expressways through Tokyo and finally via the Higashi Kanto Expressway to Narita Airport.

Without traffic jams, it takes you about 3 to 3.5 hours. But you are likely to encounter about 20-60 minutes delay due to traffic jams in central Tokyo. So, I would add about an hour just to be safe.

[Traffic jams tend to be worst on weekday mornings. On weekends, traffic is usually smooth.

How long roughly should I plan for if I leave Nikko on a Monday morning for a 1620 flight out of Narita.

Traffic jams are usually worst on weekday mornings. Weekday daytime and evenings are also crowded. Weekends are usually smooth traffic. Of course, there is alsways the risk of accidents slowing down traffic on any day of the week.

I personally would leave Nikko by 10am. If you are not familiar with the route, you might want to leave earlier in case of eventual time loss due to getting lost. Study the Tokyo expressway network in advance and/r bring a good navigation system!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Many thanks, Uji... 2007/8/15 16:40
You're great as usual.
by mthk rate this post as useful

reply to this thread