Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Letter to my host family 2007/8/22 06:05
I need some proofreading done on my Japanese. I'll give you what i mean to say in English and then my attempt in Japanese. Please help!

To everyone,
How are you? I have been well. Here are the nuts I bought for you. I bought one bag for everyone, except Lav (their dog). If you ever need more bags, please email me and I will buy more before I go to Japan. I can also ask my mom to send me some from America too. Please enjoy and I hope to see you soon.
From Miko.

‚Ý‚ñ‚È‚³‚ñ‚Ö
‚¨Œ³‹C‚Å‚·‚©HŽ„‚ÍŒ³‹C‚Å‚µ‚½I‚±‚̃iƒbƒc‚Í‘O‚É”ƒ‚Á‚Ä‚ ‚°‚é‚Á‚ăiƒbƒc‚Å‚·Bƒ‰[ƒuˆÈŠO‚É‚Ý‚ñ‚È‚Ì‚½‚߂Ɉꕂ𔃂¢‚Ü‚µ‚½B‚Ý‚ñ‚È‚ÍŽ„‚É‚à‚Á‚Æ‘Ü‚ð‚à‚ç‚¢‚½‚çAƒ[ƒ‹‚µ‚½‚çA“ú–{‚És‚­‘O‚É‚à‚Á‚Æ”ƒ‚¢‚Ü‚·B‚»‚ê‚àŽ„‚Í•ê‚É•·‚¯‚ăAƒƒŠƒJ‚©‚ç•ê‚̓iƒbƒc‚ð‘—‚Á‚Ä‚­‚ê‚Ü‚·BŠy‚µ‚ñ‚Å‚à‚¤ŽŸ‚®‰ï‚¤‚±‚Æ‚ðŠy‚µ‚Ý‚Ü‚·B
”üŽq‚æ‚è

by Miko  

,,, 2007/8/22 18:26
my attempt as follows

To everyone,
ŠF—l‚Ö

How are you? I have been well.
‚¨Œ³‹C‚Å‚·‚©H@Ž„‚ÍŒ³‹C‚Å‚â‚Á‚Ä‚¢‚Ü‚·B

Here are the nuts I bought for you.
‚±‚ê‚ÍAŠF—l‚É”ƒ‚Á‚½ƒiƒbƒc‚Å‚·B

I bought one bag for everyone, except Lav (their dog).
Œ¢‚̃‰ƒuˆÈŠO‚Ì@ŠF—l‚Ɉê‘Ü‚¸‚”ƒ‚Á‚Ä‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·B

If you ever need more bags, please email me and I will buy more before I go to Japan.
‚à‚µ‚à‚Á‚Æ•K—v‚Å‚µ‚½‚çAƒ[ƒ‹‚ŘA—‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚½‚¾‚¯‚ê‚ÎA“ú–{‚És‚­‘O‚É”ƒ‚Á‚Ä‚¨‚«‚Ü‚·B

I can also ask my mom to send me some from America too.
•ê‚É—Š‚ñ‚ŃAƒƒŠƒJ‚©‚玄‚É‘—‚Á‚Ä‚à‚炤‚±‚Æ‚à‚Å‚«‚Ü‚·B

Please enjoy and I hope to see you soon.
From Miko.
‚Ç‚¤‚©(ƒiƒbƒc‚ðj–¡‚í‚Á‚Ä‚Ý‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B‚Ü‚à‚È‚­‚¨‰ï‚¢‚Å‚«‚é‚Ì‚ð@Šy‚µ‚Ý‚É‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚Ü‚·B
”üŽq‚æ‚è

by im rate this post as useful

two notes... 2007/8/22 20:23
The sentence "Here are the nuts I bought for you." was changed to "Here are the nuts I said i would buy for you"
i should have one bag be [‚Â@not ˆê•
sorry.
Also a friend of mine edited too.

‚Ý‚È‚³‚ñ‚Ö
‚¨Œ³‹C‚Å‚·‚©HŽ„‚ÍŒ³‹C‚Å‚·I‚±‚ê‚ÍŽ„‚ª‚ ‚°‚é‚ÆŒ¾‚Á‚Ä‚¢‚½ƒiƒbƒc‚Å‚·Bƒ‰[ƒuˆÈŠO‚Ì‚Ý‚ñ‚È‚Ì‚½‚߂Ɉê‚”ƒ‚¢‚Ü‚µ‚½B‚à‚µ‚à‚à‚Á‚Æ•K—v‚È‚çAŽ„‚Ƀ[ƒ‹‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B‚»‚µ‚½‚ç“ú–{‚És‚­‘O‚É”ƒ‚Á‚Äs‚«‚Ü‚·B‚¨•ê‚³‚ñ‚É—Š‚ñ‚ŃAƒƒŠƒJ‚©‚ç‘—‚Á‚Ä‚à‚炤‚±‚Æ‚à‚Å‚«‚Ü‚·B‚»‚µ‚ÄA‚·‚®‚É“ú–{‚ʼn‚é“ú‚ðŠy‚µ‚Ý‚É‚µ‚Ä‚Ü‚·B
”üŽq‚æ‚è

Thank you for the quick reply!
by Miko rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/22 22:06
About: ‚±‚ê‚ÍŽ„‚ª‚ ‚°‚é‚ÆŒ¾‚Á‚Ä‚¢‚½ƒiƒbƒc‚Å‚·

Actually I would rephrase it... because in Japanese, somehow it sounds pushy, as if you are emphasizing that you are fulfilling the favor that you said you would do for them :) I liked the earlier one posted by "im" better, to be honest.

Or you could say
‚±‚ꂪAˆÈ‘O‚É‚º‚ЊF‚³‚ñ‚ÉH‚ׂĂقµ‚¢‚ÆŒ¾‚Á‚½ƒiƒbƒc‚Å‚·B
(This is the nuts that I earlier said I would definitely like you to try.)
by AK rate this post as useful

nuts 2007/8/23 00:26
they actually had the nuts before when i was staying with them. I brought them with me from America to munch on and i decided to give them some to try. They liked them so much that I decided to give them my extra bag.
After a while, they stopped emailing me and I hadn't heard from them in about 6 months... i was worried so I offered to mail them some more of those nuts in hopes that they would respond to my emails/letter. They responded after that (their computer broke) and so i just bought them the nuts.

... 2007/8/23 08:57
Sorry I did not mean to be difficult.

Then you could say:
‚±‚ꂪAˆÈ‘OŽ„‚ª‚¨‘—‚肵‚Ü‚·‚ÆŒ¾‚Á‚½ƒiƒbƒc‚Å‚·BThis is the nuts I earlier said I would send to you.

My concern was more about the word "ageru," this was the bit that sounded a bit pushy. So I changed it to "o-okusuru" a humble term to say the same thing :)

thank you AK 2007/8/23 09:33
Yea, since I'm learning Japanese, it's hard for me to grasp an underlying tone that I would never want to imply. Thank you. And don't worry about being difficult, i know the background story wasn't apparent.

... 2007/8/23 11:31
Thank you :)

Whoops, I made a mistake in the earlier one (only in the romanized version)
So I changed it to "o-okurisuru" a humble term to say the same thing :)

ah yes 2007/8/23 11:44
I remember learning how to make a verb humble in class.

I think... 2007/8/23 12:24
I think that depends on the verb, as some already have their own polite version (except if you're talking in kansai-ben!) but i may be wrong.
by miyo rate this post as useful

humble? 2007/8/24 06:38
miyo - do you mean the humble form? That is the form that I have in my text book (which is of course based on Tokyo ben). My host family lives in Yokosuka so they should understand it.

reply to this thread