Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

negotiation with Japnese Professor 2007/8/25 10:12
Well, I'm contacting a Professor in a top university in Japan right now to see if he's interested in my research and take me as his student.

He has answered my questions about the graduate school itself and his background in a timely manner. However, he's very indirect to respond when I ask him about his interest in my research or take me as his student.

I am confused about this? I know the research plan I have now is not perfect, but how am I going to revise it without any feedback? Is this just a Japanese culture thing or what? What should I do next?

I have no intention to be push him to give me a clear answer whether he wants to take me or not, but I think it is fair for him to say a few words about my research plan.

I am doing this because I heard grad school would prefer u to contact the Professor first to see if he's interested or not. If he takes u, then it is most likely you will get accepted.

thank you
by Jack  

. 2007/8/25 12:38
If the professor doesn't know you personally or if he isn't of high rank in the university (or has much moving power) its highly unlikely he will be able to influence the admissions officers in charge of admissions into the University. I would say this is true of many places outside of Japan too.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/25 12:46
Isn't it simply because admission to the school is not in his hands personally? I admit I'm not fully familiar with graduate school admission process, though. Did you contact him through someone else's recommendation/reference?

If he says yes and (somehow) the admission office later finds your qualifications wanting, he will be in a tight spot. He might think that giving too encouraging a word about your research plan might be considered a promise for you to be able to attend the course. At the same time, if he says no, that could be simply too discouraging for you, the potential student.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/26 04:51
This largely depends on your major (and how large the department you apply for is).

In general, each professor in a Japanese university does not have a significant say on admission process, especially if you apply for a Master's program.

Japanese University admits applicants mostly based on your exam scores unlike the U.S. counterpart. Even if the professor want to let you in, he can't if you can't get enough score. After you passed those exams, you'll have an easier time if you know professors in the school, but you'll be admitted anyway, because Japanese schools lack foreigner.

By the way,I don't think Japanese universities are good place to pursue a graduate degree, to start with.
by anoir rate this post as useful

Sorry, but that's not how it works 2007/8/28 04:46
Jack.

Before you continue to read, let me ask the obvious question, do you have a bachelors degree from an accredited university? If yes, wonderful.

College work at the masters level is nothing other than a more concrete expansion of the work you did in your bachelors program. Not until you reach your doctorate level and, even then, only in a few majors, will you do actual research.

Any research done at any college must first be approved by an IRB, which determines the extent the potential harm the study poses to the subjects.

Professors, those teaching at college, who have earned their doctorates, do not simply teach classes and perform experiments on the side. If they want to do a study, they must get the green light from the head of the department, then they must get it approved by the IRB. If all goes well, the professor is then placed on sabbatical, which is a paid vacation intended for the professor to do their research and the like for the experiment.

Suffice to say, what you're asking of this professor is outrageous, as it's not how any school in the world operates.

If you want to get your masters from a Japanese school, you must apply, get accepted, and put in the crap work that everyone in the world goes through to get advanced degrees. That's the only way it happens.

Michael
by Michael rate this post as useful

about research and japanese Professor 2007/8/28 06:52
I think there are some confusion there. I will go through the process of admission like everyone else. Yes, I have done research with approval of the IRB in the past, so it is not something i'm not familar with.
The only reason I am doing this because it is suggested to contact the Professor prior to the admission as I have heard in the other forum. I dont know it is u guys are making a mistake or they are, it could be the difference between asian and western culture as the asian forum strongly encourage me to do so and others like u do not.
by Jack rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/28 06:59
What other forum is this. Japan isn't like China, and Taiwan isn't like Korea etc etc.

Things are done differently no matter where you are. Including the United States. Even in the US contacting the professor beforehand does not give one latitude in getting admitted or not. In fact it can be seen as almost desperate to get into a certain school and really has no pulling on admissions officers who are the ones in charge of admission not the professor. This is the same as Yale as it is at the University of Tokyo. No diffierence in culture, everything is done "by the book".

Btw there is not much confusing the way you worded the question originally.

2 2007/8/28 07:07
actually it was a forum for asian students whom are studying abroad in Japan or going to Japan. Believe it or not, I am not making this up. Of course I could be mistaken, but that's why I am here for right? I don't think it's a sin to ask question.

3 2007/8/28 07:13
"You may contact any instructor you wish regarding your researh plans and other relevant matters before submitting your application." I found this from the admission guidelines.

. 2007/8/28 07:55
Sure its no problem to ask questions if you have questions about the program and how classes are like.

But the way you were phrasing it, it was that if you talk to him it would have some bearing on him having influence on the admissions process.

He has answered my questions about the graduate school itself and his background in a timely manner.

Thats what the guidelines mean, and thats perfectly fine to do and ask questions about the program, the school, the professor to see if you would like it.

However, he's very indirect to respond when I ask him about his interest in my research or take me as his student.

This is something they can't do, and this is the part many of us are responding to.
He has no influence on the admissions process.

. 2007/8/28 08:01
Does that clarify it for you?

You can talk to them about classes, you can talk to him about research and items, how the school is, how much work maybe involved in classes etc etc.

But you can't "negotiate" your way into the school by having the instructors approval of you beforehand. Approvals etc are the admissions office job.
And it would not be ethical for him to say "yes he's interested in having you as a student etc" especially if you have not even been admitted to the school.

Huh? 2007/8/28 08:54
In the U.S., an individual professor can have a huge influence on whether you get into graduate school or not, and I can't believe that it's all that different in Japan. (I could be wrong, but certainly the general admissions people aren't the ones who decide which individuals are accepted into specific programs in specific departments.)

However, that doesn't mean that you can just contact any professor and expect them critique to research plan for you. If the guy doesn't express interest, you should try someone else, maybe at another school.
by Spouse of A Japanese Professor in U.S. rate this post as useful

3 2007/8/28 09:05
thank you!!! I got into bad mood cause I hear people accusing me for wanting to go back door. I dont intend to do this, I want to do it cause I believe this is the "procedure" there. You just made me feel better, and I appreciate that.

Jack

. 2007/8/28 09:33
In Japan it is done by the book. Unless your book happens to be a large bankbook then talking to the professor doesn't matter. If you are a wife to a Japanese person you should know very well how things in Japan are done strictly by the book. Thats how the culture is in Japan, thats why people don't tip in Japan as well. You are expected to do your work in line with established manuals and not assit or take side items.

You were asking why the professor was not responding directly to your questions on accepting you, but he answers everything else, it makes sense doesnt it that its ok to ask questions but it is not ok to ask "do you want me as a student, or take me under your wing".

4 2007/8/28 12:09
He just responded. I think I figure it why now. For the program applying would be similar to MBA, it isn't really the same with other programs.

However, it varies with different department as there are Professors who will let u know whether they are interested or not.

Think about this way, if there is only one Professor u want to work with in this university due to his speciality in research. Wouldnt this be a joke after you received admission that he tells u he can not take anymore students? Professors do have a say on the admission, as I learned as the admission committee would ask Professors in the department for advices.

case closed.

Who is in control ? 2007/8/29 11:10
Wouldnt this be a joke after you received admission that he tells u he can not take anymore students? Professors do have a say on the admission

In my lab, new students take the exam for admittance to the graduate school. If one student gets a higher mark then he can choose which lab to study with. If too many students apply to this lab it may not be possible for the professor to accept them. If your marks are lower, you may have to change lab.

In many cases, the reason why the professor does not comment on your research plan is because he will change it. One reason for this is your lack of experience in the field. Another reason is his interest does not align with yours. Do not make the mistake of thinking that you will be able to define the research plan; you will only be able to make a proposal which *will* be modified.

(a researcher at a Japanese university)
by koan rate this post as useful

This is odd... 2007/8/31 08:33
This isn't meant as antagonistic, in any intention, but going through every outlet of the collegiate system, I can tell you that this "taking me as a student thing" is not being used in the right context.

If you have your bachelors, you should recall that you were assigned an advisor. The advisor's purpose, at the bachelors level, was to help you through your academic path, in order for you to get your degree. Just as this occurred at your bachelors level, it, too, will occur at the masters and doctorate levels.

Let me clear about what this actually means. At the masters level, you will have to take certain courses to fulfill your masters. You will have a choice of taking certain courses over others. So, your mentor, at the masters level, will function just as it did at the bachelors level. Look buddy, when you ask this dude to take you as a student, it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to do so, unless you're enrolled in courses. And, any non assigned by the administration advisor, at any level, will require you to meet with him, before he even chooses to become your advisor. Suffice to say, you're going to have to meet with him and ask him face to face.

The only difference between bachelors level courses and masters level courses is the masters courses require you to submit and obligatory, original term paper for each course. This term paper will vary from a historical review to doing a sample, and I mean, sample bit of original research. Masters courses are geared towards getting you ready to do your actual research, which is, guess what, what your doctorate is for. At the doctorate level, we call this original research a thesis. I'm sure you've heard that term before.

I really have no clue how you could confuse this so much. At the masters level, you're not going to be Einstein running around and getting research grants.That's not how the system works.

Michael
by Michael rate this post as useful

reply to this thread