Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Passport 2007/8/25 13:22
I read from somewhere online that while in Japan, tourists should carry their passports everywhere with them should the authorities want to check them. Is it true? I am just wondering because while it is not a big problem to carry your passport, it is after all an important item, and it would be very troublesome if for some reason I lose it.
by Zach  

... 2007/8/25 16:01
Yes, it is true. It is required by law.

I am just wondering because while it is not a big problem to carry your passport, it is after all an important item, and it would be very troublesome if for some reason I lose it.

That is also true. So, please be very careful not to lose your passport.
by Uji rate this post as useful

passports 2007/8/25 16:21
Even foreign residents of Japan are required to carry their alien registrations cards with them at all times. I even take mine when I go jogging.

It's pretty unlikely you will be asked to show your passport but it's possible, and if you don't have it you will then be spending some time at the police station explaining yourself and apologising over and over.

I know people who have had this happen to them- why take the risk? Just be careful while carrying your passport, like you would with cash or credit cards.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Copy 2007/8/25 20:47
I always carry a photo copy of my passport and the page that is stamped when I entered the country, and always keep my passport locked up in the hotel room.
and I have never had a problem.
Worst case is they will ask you show them your copy and if they really want to see the real thing they will come to the hotel and take a look, this really happened to me once but absolutely no problems.
by Name rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/25 21:56
Just respect the law of your host country and carry your passport on you at all times! It is not that difficult!
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/25 22:56
Japan is a very safe country so you shouldn't have to worry much about losing it, and ifyou lost it, most likely someone will turn it into the Police or lost and found. If you lose your passport you can always get a replacement at your countrie's embassy or consulate.

The only times when I lock up my passport is when I'm traveling in some other nations (mostly 3rd world countries) but Japan is pretty darn safe so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
by John rate this post as useful

passport 2007/8/26 06:56
Japan only does what many other countries do. In France for example every citizen must carry an Identity card (with fingerprints) at all time. If one moved and forgot to register their new address with the police one could be in trouble. Foreign tourists must carry their passport at all times-not a copy but the real thing-
in practical terms I have visited France and Japan many times and never had to show my passport, even when I had to go to a police station to ask for directions. .
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/26 07:06
Japan only does what many other countries do. In France for example every citizen must carry an Identity card (with fingerprints) at all time.

Except in Japan if you are a Japanese citizen you don't have to carry your ID with you at all times.

A better way of saying is, Japan does what most other countries do in respect to foreign residents or travelers. Most other countries, including the US, Canada etc, require tourists, foreign residences to have with them passport, or somesort of other identity paper.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread