Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suica + Nex package and Shinjuku station 2007/8/26 12:28
Hi there,

With this package deal, is it possible to use the Suica card for the return trip to Narita airport. As I understand it, it comes preloaded with 2000 Yen, can I add the 1000 extra Yen I think it is to get back to Narita from Shinjuku. I have never been to Japan and have no idea how to use the Suica card, and could not see if you can use it for the NEX at all.

Also could somebody please explain Train(1) option here:
http://tateshina.co.jp/emap.htm is it a public train and then a change to another public train? Do you recommend it for a tourist with a large bag and cabin bag? (Arriving at 6:30am, unsure how long checking in at airport takes)

Tateshina is the hotel we are staying at, is it ok to walk from Shinjuku to the hotel, on the map it does not look too far, 3 or 4 streets but unsure on actual distance?

On a final note is it difficult to find the "JR Ticket Offices" and the Post Office in the airport, to exchange Australian dollars for Yen and to buy the NEX package?

Thank you for any help!
by bobby  

... 2007/8/26 20:05
As I understand it, it comes preloaded with 2000 Yen, can I add the 1000 extra Yen I think it is to get back to Narita from Shinjuku. I have never been to Japan and have no idea how to use the Suica card,
How to use NEX and Suica
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html
I think a good amount of the preloaded 2000 yen will have gone until the day of departure. But I think you can use Suica and top up with cash for what is not enough to purchase NEX ticket. NEX is not a local train but a limited express with reserved seats.

Do you recommend it for a tourist with a large bag and cabin bag?
It is not impossible but from Shinjuku station to Hotel Tateshina is a good 15-20 min walk.
I suggest you to take a cab to the hotel.

You may transfer to a subway but Metro Shinjuku station is different from JR Shinjuku station. From NEX platform to the subway station is about 10 min walk.

is it difficult to find the "JR Ticket Offices" and the Post Office in the airport, to exchange Australian dollars for Yen and to buy the NEX package?
No, it is very easy to find them. But as for currency exchange, it is a good idea to check exchange rates in Japan and in your home country. In many cases, you can get better rates for AUD in Australia.
http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html
by J Lady rate this post as useful

.. 2007/8/26 21:58
I think a good amount of the preloaded 2000 yen will have gone until the day of departure. But I think you can use Suica and top up with cash for what is not enough to purchase NEX ticket.[/qs]

What do you mean it will be gone? We are only staying two nights, is is it not possible to load 3100Yen onto the card?

It is not impossible but from Shinjuku station to Hotel Tateshina is a good 15-20 min walk.

I suggest you to take a cab to the hotel.[/qs]

Thanks for this, I'll see how we feel on the day.

In many cases, you can get better rates for AUD in Australia.[/qs]

Hmm according to the exchange rates on that site you are right, but are they the actual post office exchange rates? I hear they offer one of the best rates.
by bobby rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/27 02:30
As mentioned the NEX requires a seperate ticket then the Suica card byitself. Thats why when you come in from Narita Airport to Tokyo, You don't use the Suica card you use the separate NEX ticket. When going back to Narita Airport from Tokyo, you simply can't refill you're Suica card with 3000yen and ride the NEX. You would have to purchase a NEX ticket separately from the JR Office. However I think you can use any remaining money on the Suica card towards the purchase of that ticket, also if you return your Suica card you get your 500yen deposit back.
by John rate this post as useful

Narita airport 2007/8/27 03:22
try the Narita airport web site:
www.narita-airport.or.jp/airport_e
there are 2 terminals. Click on the right terminal site then on gmapsh. Look at the bottom of the page to get maps, using Adobe. you should be able to find post office etc.
by Froggie rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/27 03:42
I mentioned before (this is true if you are flying into Terminal 1 of NRT) that if you want to exchange money at the post office, you have to go a little of the way to do so, eg once you clear customs you are in the arrivals hall, there are two post offices, one is one floor up, but that one might already be closed, then there's another one all the way up at the departures level, then once you have cash you got to make your way all the way to the basement to the train station (so you're going up then down).

If I have some cash I need to exchange just to purchase a ticket, then I would just do it at the currency exchange booths right in the arrival hall (no need to go back upstairs to find a post office). Also there are ATMs etc to pull out money via bank card if you need too.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread