Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ordering food 2007/8/29 10:53
Hi, im just wondering..if im ordering food from a shop..and i want to take the food back to the hotel to eat..how do you say "take out" in japanese?
like..
by chiba  

ordering food 2007/8/29 14:43
by shop do you mean a convenience store (7-11, Lawson's, Family Mart) or a restaurant? int he first case they automaticaly give you a bag, napkins etc.
in the second case, if you do not sit at a table but stay by the counter and show them an empty shoping bag and wave it towards the door they get the picture. It works for me anyway!.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/29 15:31
"Take out (TE-I-KOO A-OO-TOH) wo onegai shimasu. " (Take out, please)
"...wo onegai shimasu" is a convenient phrase. "MIZU wo onegai shimasu (water, please)" "Spoon (soo-poon) wo onegai shimasu (Spoon, please)" and so on :)
by J Lady rate this post as useful

take out 2007/8/31 01:38
If you mean like at McDonald's, I think I can help you. I had to learn this one pretty fast. At such restaurants you can say "koko-de tabemasu" (I'll eat here, i.e. eat-in) or you can say "o-mochi kaeri" (not really sure what it means literally, but it definitely is understood as an English speaker's version of "take out").
by Jon rate this post as useful

kokodetaberu omochikaeru 2009/3/4 17:22
The last post was right. If you are going to eat in the restaurant you say "koko de taberu," which means I'll eat here. If you want to take it with you, you say "o mochi kaeru," which can be translated as I'll carry it home.
by grover (guest) rate this post as useful

Ten nai de / Mochi kaeri de 2009/3/19 20:43
I asked this very same question to a Japanese person. Her response was:

For here: Ten nai de

Take out: Mochi kaeri de
by Maneki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread