Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question about the verb 'tatemasu' 2007/9/1 00:13
Is this sentence correct?:

kono biru wa 1885-nen ni tatemashita. (this building was built in 1885)

Could this sentence say in this way, with less formal, like this?:

kono biru wa 1885-nen ni tateta

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Gakkou Otaku
by Gakkou Otaku  

... 2007/9/1 10:12
Actually to say "THis building was built in 1885," I would suggest:
- Kono biru wa 1885-nen ni tateraremashita.
or
- Kono biru wa 1885-nen ni taterareta. (informal)

...using the passive "was built."

If you say "... tatemashita," or "...tateta," that sounds like "I built it in 1985." ("tatemasu," "tateru" = to build)
by AK rate this post as useful

hello 2007/9/1 10:41
Sorry to be in your thread, Gakkou Otaku, but I noticed it takes so long for a topic to be posted and this is just a really quick. Forgive me, forgive me, please.
But can anyone translate this to Japanese please?

hisashiburi
how's work going?
lately, i've been writing song lyrics.
um...since i'm going to be in Japan in November maybe we can go for some coffee (or anything you like) as friends?
jaa ne

Hontou ni arigatou gozaimasu.
by glico_choco rate this post as useful

glico_choco, 2007/9/1 11:33
hisashiburi
how's work going? Shigoto wa donna choushi?
lately, i've been writing song lyrics. Saikin, watashi wa uta no kashi wo kaite iru yo.
um...since i'm going to be in Japan in November maybe we can go for some coffee (or anything you like) as friends? Nihon ni 11-gatsu ni iku no de, moshi yokattara, tomodachi to shite issho ni koohii demo nomi ni ikanai?
jaa ne

(All in informal speech)

hello 2007/9/1 11:55
Wow, so fast. So it's this?

久し振り
仕事はどんなちょうし?
最近、私は歌の歌詞を書いているよ。
日本に11月に行くのでもし良かったら、友達として一緒にコーヒーでも飲みに行かない?
じゃあね

Thank you so much, AK!

I know it's been a while... 2007/10/9 11:05
I know it's been a while but, I'm having some difficulties explaining myself in Japanese. I can use it to an extent and be understood but other parts fall short. If you could help me, it would be really great. Please, thank you!

I prefer to send a message through this site, so can we exchange messages here for a little longer?
How have you been?
I'm sorry about my last e-mail, and I'm sorry the e-mail is always disconnected or late. It's because it's hard to find the right words in Japanese...Hontou ni sumimasen.
"日本に11月に行くのでもし良かったら、友達として一緒にコーヒーでも飲みに行かない?"
↑↑I thought you read that line so I asked where in particular would you like to drink coffee. (^◇^;)

I'm sorry about this AK, or anyone willing to translate! But thank you if you can! I know I should study that's why I'm planning to take up classes when I arrive in Japan.

To glico_choco 2007/10/9 18:15
How have you been?
Genki ni shiteta?
I'm sorry about my last e-mail, and I'm sorry the e-mail is always disconnected or late.
Kono aida no meeru wa gomennasai, soreni, itsumo meeru ga hanashi no tsunagari ga warukattari, osokunattari shite, sumimasen. (I take "disconnected" as "the story/sentences not coherent; story being chopped up".)
It's because it's hard to find the right words in Japanese....
Tadashii Nihongo no hyougen wo sagasu noga taihen de...

"日本に11月に行くのでもし良かったら、友達として一緒にコーヒーでも飲みに行かない?"
↑↑I thought you read that line so I asked where in particular would you like to drink coffee. (^◇^;)
Kono bun wo yonde kureta to omotte ita node, koohii wo nomi ni iku no ni, gutaitekini doko ni ikitai ka tazuneta'n desu.

life saver! 2007/10/9 22:39
Thanks! I actually used disconnected as always stopping the mail, like never replying back or in a timely fashio but the way you used it is perfect.

There was also one more part, I had it jumbled in there, so maybe you didn't see. I'm sorry!

"I prefer to send a message (communicate) through this site, so can we exchange messages here for a little longer? Onegai yo"

Anyway, thank you again! Thanks.

To glico_choco, 2007/10/9 22:59
I prefer to send a message (communicate) through this site, so can we exchange messages here for a little longer?
Watashi wa kono saito wo tooshite renraku suru hou ga ii node, mou sukoshi koko de messeeji no yaritori wo tsudukete moraeru?

reply to this thread