Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Geta question 2007/9/2 20:40
What should one know about geta wearing customs andtraditions? It looked like women prefer darker sole getas while lighter wood wones are worn by men? Is it so? Can anyone reccommend an online shop to by getas of bigger size? Thanks for anyone willing to bring some light into this issue.
by Msha  

... 2007/9/3 12:37
Msha, Geta should normally worn when you wear casual Kimono, such as, Yukata and should not be worn when you wear formal (silk) Kimono. (Of course, it is quite OK to wear it with western clothes!)

As far as I know, there is no color code for men/women but women tend to choose lacquered (black-color) ones while men choose non-lacquered (light/natural wooden color) ones. And women's geta is (mostly) round while men's geta is square.

Traditional geta has 2 sticking soles like a 2-prong electric plug but as this geta is not really comfortable to walk, modern geta with only 1 sole at the back or with a flat sole have become available. (Some modern geta even has rubber soles to improave walkability) This modern geta is also good as it does not maka a noisy sound which is associated with traditional geta. (You are sometimes refused to enter when you wear geta because of their making sound and damaging floor.)

I'll post some webpages where you can buy geta online.
http://www.karankoron.com/geta_large_size.html
http://www.japanesegift.jp/product_info.php?products_id=526

by JLady rate this post as useful

geta 2007/9/4 14:10
Geta should normally worn when you wear casual Kimono, such as, Yukata and should not be worn when you wear formal Kimono.
by abc rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2007/9/5 05:21
Thank you JLady! Karankoron appears to have bigger sizes - I need at least 25cm or western size 39-40. I was just sad I could not find getas for ladies of that size once I was in Japan.
by Msha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread