Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beer Prices 2007/9/3 12:55
What is an average price on beer in the major cities?
by Drew Balto  

. 2007/9/3 20:11
I think around 500-600Yen for a slightly largish bottle.

Feels expensive because a beef bowl or noodle is around the same price, but relative to the rest of the world around average I suppose.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

Beer Prices 2007/9/4 00:07
Thank you for the information
by Drew Balto rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/4 02:01
Japanese beer is expensive, mostly because tax on beer is one of the highest in the world, even higher than northern Europe.
by anoir rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/4 02:31
If you are talking about a regular can of beer, then the price ranges from 200-300 yen for a regular can.
by John rate this post as useful

Beer prices 2007/9/4 08:19
I've found six packs of 500 mL cans for 800 - 900 yen in some supermarkets. I don't remember the brand. The quality is on the level of Budweiser in the USA.
by Bob rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/5 18:02
Sorry the above postor is right.

I was assuming restaurant pub beer prices.

If you buy it retail, its around 250Yen a can. Still around world average prices.

However Japan now carries a whole range of lighter, non-wheat fermented beers. Carries less tax, less flavour, but are half the price. Don't mind them at all especially now that I'm out of Japan I can't get them anywhere.

Real Beer 2007/9/5 18:07
Not the "stuff" Bob's drinking, Soy Beer. Real beer costs about 1000/1300 yen for a 6pack 350ml. from the super market, 7/11, lawsons. "Most" Restraunts, Izakaya/Bars are all about 500/600 yen for 350ml.
by BeerMe rate this post as useful

Cheaper 2007/9/6 18:52
What are the cheaper brands of beer and other alcohol?

I mean, in the UK if you don't want to pay so much for Vodka, you buy Vladivar instead of Smirnoff. Instead of Budweiser, you buy Carlsberg.

What are the cheaper (but not dirt cheap to the point you are just drinkign flavoured water with 1% alcohol) popular brands in Japan?
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Cheap booze 2007/9/6 20:32
I thought what I was drinking was real beer. I'm looking at it right now: Sapporo, Draft One, 5% alcohol. It was 888 for a six pack of 500 mLs.

Kelly, if you want cheap booze, try whisky. From what I've seen, it's pretty commonly sold. I've bought a few bottles of Nikka whisky at the supermarket near me, for about 750/800 yen for a 700 mL bottle. Also, that's where I got the beer I mentioned in my above post. I'm a whisky/whiskey/scotch guy, and I was pleased to see several different brands. Nikka was cheapest. I've only seen vodka at the shopping center in Shinagawa station (off topic: they have lots of cheeses there!). But, I haven't really looked specifically for it. I'm happy with the beer and whisky at the nearby market from where I live.

I've also seen several gin brands at the market, but I don't remember the prices. I'll check next time I go there. I know they sold Beefeater.

I live out of the way of central Tokyo, so perhaps stuff is cheaper here.

. 2007/9/6 22:00
Bob, from memory I think Sapporo Draft One is not a real beer in that its not a wheat beer.

Can kind of remember it having white and yellow colour can?

1-2-3 Sin Tax. . . Alcohol 2007/9/7 01:37
Sorry I forget the %'s for each category of beer, but there are 3 kinds.

1. "Normal Everyday Beer" 65 or 70% malt 5% alcohol. 200 to 280 per can.

2. "Hoppshu" lower malt and more "stuff" sugar, rice, corn, potato, starch and whatever else. this is what sapporo "draft one" is. 150 to 200 per can

3. "Soybean Base Beer" Tastes like cr_ p! I have no idea whats in it. 120 to 160 a can.

FYI, I'm stocked up on "Real Sapporo" just in case Fitow causes any trouble.
by O'sakana rate this post as useful

OK 2007/9/7 08:23
I don't know how beers are classified here. Not all beers in the US have wheat in them, and are more characterized by how much hops they have.

My main concern in money. I need something cheap to drink. Of course, I could just stop drinking, but that's no fun!

... 2007/9/7 08:31
You can find basic Information on cheaper second and third category beer on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2037.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

BOB 2007/9/7 12:11
Don't even joke about that,
it's not funny.

by BeerMe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread