Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

lost with kanji 2007/9/6 16:59
hello
i wanted to learn kanji but i hve leanred only grammar till now ,
i don't know how i can start
every time i try i feel like losing my time

i would like to know a goodway to learn them
if you know a web site or something , would you please tell me?
i'm really lost with my kanji study
by April  

... 2007/9/7 21:05
April, my idea may be different from professional language teachers but I recommend you not to try to memorize all the Kanji at once. You may have already noticed that many kanji are made of several "building blocks". Once you memorize some simple kanji or kanji-parts which serve as "building blocks," you can combine them to make a lot of kanji.

For example, 「木」is a kanji for tree. Add one more 「木」, you'll have 「林(forest)」. And yet one more 「木」, it'll be 「森(woods)」. 「木」+「古(old)」is 「枯 (die down)」.
「川」is river. When this kanji is written in a deformed way, it can be used as a building block for water-ralated kanji. 河(big river),浜(coast),波(wave) and so on. 「女」is women. Add 「家(house, family)」and you'll have 「嫁(wife)」. 「女」+「古(old)」is 「姑 (mother in law)」!

When I was a child, my parents bought "Kanji Karuta," a card game to memorize Kanji. Each card has a building block of kanji and you can get a point when you combine them and make a correct kanji. I assume it's a kind of Scrabble for kanji :)
by JLady rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/9/11 18:14
thanks JLady ,

i will try your way of learning !
i wanted to ask , do you respect the stroke order?

see you

by April rate this post as useful

reply to this thread