Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cheapest way to send things from UK? 2007/9/9 05:42
I will be living in Japan for a year but my baggage allowance is only 20 kgs! I have to take clothes and shoes because I am very tall and won't be able to buy them in Japan. I am thinking of shipping things to Japan but can't find a cheap way to do it - I can only find removals or large shipping companies who are only interested in large crates of stuff which costs a fortune. Can anyone make a suggestion please?
by Stitchylinda  

... 2007/9/9 20:46
WHen I moved from UK back to Japan, we used a moving company, and of course they were disappointed to see that all we had got packed into fifteen or so cardboard boxes (all books and clothing! no furniture because in UK we used to live in a furnished apartment), but they took care of it... well, my employer contacted the moving company. Any way that you can get your employer, if your company is sending you here, to help you? Also, ask at the post office the biggest size of parcels they will ship - and the rates. With bulky (but not so heavy) clothing, just sending them in boxes over surface/SAL (combined air and surface mail) might do,
by AK rate this post as useful

Shopping trips 2007/9/9 22:30
Hi Linda, I too had the same problem when I came to Japan, tall guy needing new clothes! I initially took enough clothes for about 3 months but there are some very cheap flights available to Hong Kong where you can have made to measure clothes made in a matter of hours for a tiny price!
by James rate this post as useful

Kuro Neko 2007/9/10 09:16
Yamato have a European office in London. They will do UK-Japan door to door. There are some other Japanese companies too.
by koan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread