Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying & Working in Japan 2007/9/13 19:41
I want to study abroad the Japanese language in Japan but I want to know if it is possible to work at the same time. I've found out that basically:

-If you are studying short-term, working is prohibited by law
-If you are studying long-term, you are only allowed to work part time for a maximum of 4 hours a day.

Working 4 hours a day will not be enough to cover tuition and boarding, so I'd like to know if there is a way around this? Maybe a special type of Visa that will allow me more freedom to be in Japan for the purpose of studying and working.
by Sean  

. 2007/9/14 09:27
-If you are studying short-term, working is prohibited by law
-If you are studying long-term, you are only allowed to work part time for a maximum of 4 hours a day.

Working 4 hours a day will not be enough to cover tuition and boarding, so I'd like to know if there is a way around this? Maybe a special type of Visa that will allow me more freedom to be in Japan for the purpose of studying and working.

It is a bit more complicated then short-term vs long term, but thats aside from the point here.

No, there is no special student visa that will allow you to work more. If you are getting a student visa in the first place you need to show to immigration that you have enough money to defray all your costs.

So you can't work more under a student visa, what can you do?

Well if you come from a country that offers a Working Holiday Visa you can probably work longer hours, and go to school at the same time, or if you qualify you can get a full work visa, and work then go to school as a secondary.

Of course not everyone qualifies for a working holiday visa, or work visa, in which case you're pretty much out of options, i mean unless you somehow got married, but thats really not the purpose here is it.
by John rate this post as useful

and what about holidays? 2007/9/14 09:58
For example if you study in university you have 2 month of summer holidays, can you work full time? Can you freelance during the study if you are an artist like painter or designer?
by T.K. rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/14 10:26
No, depending on what type of student visa, and agreements and other variables, you might be able to work part time up to 28 hours a week from the normal 20 hours a week, thats 2 extra hours during breaks, it is still not full time.

If you want full time, then get a work visa.

No you cannot freelance "officially" unless it is permitted under your permission. Of course people do things under the table which is a grey area that might not be very legal.

. 2007/9/14 14:42
John, thank you for the reply.

So about the full work visa option -- how often do people do this? And I assume the schools that you can be permitted to are less in number?
by Sean rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/14 15:31
You'll probably have to look at schools with night options or irregular hours.

How often is this done? well it first depends on how many people working in Japan find that they also want to learn the language officially rather then learning it day by day or from friends or spouses etc etc.

Of course thats assuming you qualify for a work visa to begin with.

... 2007/9/14 22:30
When short term means 6 month then you have your gaijin card right? Show it at the shiyakusho to get officially permitted to work. In Japan part time for students is up to 40 hours a week. When you study at university same case for you. But of course no hostess jobs or similar activities.
by tom rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/14 23:04
Anyone residing over 90 days is supposed to register for their alien registration. Foreign students usually cannot apply for permission to engage in other activities..etc etc (eg paid work) until about 3 months in, and it has to be done with permission of the school, and immigration officials reviewing.

40hrs a week is near full time and is NOT the norm for working part time on student visas. The limit to begin with is 20hrs a week, sometimes again depending on circumstances up to 28hrs a week.

... 2007/9/15 15:37
In Japan part time for students is up to 40 hours a week.

As mentioned by John, the maximum is usually 4 hours per day or 20-28 hours per week.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread