Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Accommodation in Tokyo 2007/9/15 21:54
Hi all...

I will be arriving Tokyo on the 2nd week of Oct for around 10 days. I have a hard time looking for accommodation, having know that Japan is the most expensive country in SEA...I have a daily budget of US$20 - US$30 (JPY 2500 - 3500) for accommodation.

I have already browsed thru the website for backpackers' hostels but not really sure which is the best. I am more worried abt the location than the price. If anyone could recommend me any convenient hostels anywhere near to shopping areas or accessible to any places like train station, I will be most grateful.

As it will be my first time in Japan, I will also welcome any tips...

Many thanks in advance.

Rdgs,
Amanda
by amanda  

... 2007/9/16 15:16
Amanda, I'm afraid that you don't have many choices with your budget. These hostels are often suggested in the forum.

K's House : http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/index.html
Tokyo International YH: http://web.kyoto-inet.or.jp/org/key-yh/tok.html

BTY, Japan is not located in South-East Asia...
by JLady rate this post as useful

Kimi Ryokan 2007/9/17 00:48
Hi, you can also stay at Kimi Ryokan, it's really worth it if there're 2 or more people (6500/2 per person). http://www.kimi-ryokan.jp/. it is 15min from ikebukuro station on yamanote line so it's really convenient.

by xy0131 rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/17 02:04
Japan isn't in South East Asia.
If it were yes I could see why it would be expensive compared to traveling to other South East Asian nations. Tokyo btw isn't them most expensive city according to a 2006 report isn't even the most expensive city in its category. However with that said too, Japan for being a very developed high index nation has some really affordable, clean, safe places to stay at compared to many other nations.

by John rate this post as useful

study the train maps! 2007/9/18 09:56
Look at the hostel location and check out which station it's close to and refer to the train/subway map.
or what you could do is Just pick out a hostel near the yamanote line. I think hostels in tokyo in general should be alright.
after you picked a few you probably can google them to check out for reviews or more pictures by travellers to help you narrow down your picks

or you could search through the forum, i'm sure there's loads of recommendations.
by Amelia rate this post as useful

shin okubo 2007/9/18 11:49
Last year we went to tokyo and lived at this place owned by taiwanese couple, it's very near shin okubo station in yamanote line, and has 7-11 around the corner. And if you can speak mandarin, you won't have problem with them.

by abiboy514 rate this post as useful

To: abiboy514 2007/9/18 13:51
Hi,

Thanks for ur advice. Do you have the contacts of the taiwanese family or any website so that I could contact them?

Many thanks in advance.

Rdgs,
Amanda
by Amanda rate this post as useful

x-pensive? 2007/9/18 22:08
Hi Amanda. It is a myth that Japan is very expensive. Sure, it is not cheap but compared to places like London, Paris and New York, Japan is much cheaper e.g. food and accomodation. If you come from the US or Europe or have been there, you will know what I mean when you get to Japan.
by Geoffrey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread