Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working as a Freelance Artist in Japan 2007/9/17 23:21
Hi. I was just wondering what kind of visa I need if I decide to live and work as a freelance artist in Japan. Thanks.
by Patrick  

FAQ 2007/9/18 10:20
Patrick,

Regular working visas require that you have a sponsor (employer) who guarantees to pay you a fixed salary each month. Freelancing or self-employment is therefore usually only an option for people who have a Spouse or Permanent Resident visa.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Reply to Dave 2007/9/18 11:27
Dave: So it looks like I'll really need a regular working visa in order for me to eventually get a permanent resident visa or spouse visa. Are foreigners limited to the kind of jobs they can get? Because I'm an artist, and if I want to get a regular job in Japan I want it to have something to do with what I do best (i.e. animation, storyboarding, etc.) Thanks.
by Patrick rate this post as useful

jobs 2007/9/18 12:46
Yes, working visas limit the kind of job you can get. Check the MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) website (Google search) for detailed info on types of visas and eligibility.

Be aware that the demand for the kind of work you mentioned is likely to be adequately filled by Japanese nationals here. Without excellent Japanese skills and one of the statuses mentioned above (PR or spouse visa) your chances of being hired over a Japanese national are pretty much zero I'm afraid.

To get a job in that kind of industry you would need a lot of good contacts here and in-depth knowledge of the industry in Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

visa 2007/9/18 15:19
I went to the MOFA website and they actually have a working visa for artists! That sounds good. So with this kind of visa I could actually have it extended, right? Thanks.
by Patrick rate this post as useful

reply to this thread