Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

quarantine for pets 2007/9/18 02:03
my husband is military and we will be moving to japan in january. we will be coming with our 2 dogs. we have done what we need to for the quarantine but i was wondering what happens once you land. does anyone have any expierience with this? do you get to see your dogs before they take them? anything will help. thank you!
by joselyn  

quarantine 2007/9/18 11:09
Just in case...the rules changed in 2005 regarding bringing pets to Japan, and many military websites & veterinary offices still have outdated information - the best site I've seen for the info is
http://www.usarj.army.mil/organization/vet/import.aspx

I believe that if you have all the advance work done and all the required documents, you can have your pet released to you at Narita. There are a lot of things required, though, so I'd double-check it thoroughly. I was fortunate in that we came before the new rules were in effect. I have seen people bring dogs to Narita that were going into quarantine - the owners claimed the animal at the baggage section, then took it to the agricultural/veterinary desk at one side of the baggage claim, where the paperwork was checked, and the dog was immediately wheeled into the quarantine area behind an enormous set of double doors. I haven't met anyone who has had their pet in quarantine to I can't speak to anything other than that.

by Spenthrift rate this post as useful

quarantine 2007/9/18 11:12
Sorry, me again.
Reading the army website I gave you, it looks like the quarantine can be done on-base, either in the kennel or in on-base housing (if you have a house already or if you can have somebody else take your pets for you). I'd get in touch with the veterinary office at your particular base and verify this, and see what you have to do to make that happen....
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

pets 2007/9/18 22:55
Thank you for your help! I just wanted to make sure that i get to see them once were off the plane! Thanks again.
by joselyn rate this post as useful

pets 2007/9/18 23:00
How were you pets during travel? where exactly did they put them onthe plane? did you have layovers at all? if so did you get to walk them between flights? lots of questions!! im very nervous about my puppies flying.
by joselyn rate this post as useful

Quarantine paperwork 2007/9/25 08:34
My dog will finally be joining me in Tokyo in November. (A friend is flying into Narita with her). She (the dog) is past the 180 quarantine period, chipped, and her shots are all set, etc.

Right now, we are in the process of filling out the "Notification for import of dogs" form.

Does anyone with the experience of bringing their dog here know where exactly to FAX this form? She's flying into Terminal 1, so it would seem logical to me to FAX it there. The Animal Quarantine Service gives several locations though, and it isn't clear where the form should be sent.
by Bob rate this post as useful

reply to this thread