Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kobe celluloid charms 2007/9/18 06:23
I'm trying to find out the history of Kobe charms - tiny representations - over 100 designs e.g. pagodas or animals, in which the eyes pop out. There are big versions in wood/ivory/ bone, but, I think in 1930s on, they were made as cracker and gum ball toys. Also grouped hanging by threads on celluloid rings and early ones mix wood, bone and celluloid. Anyone knows the history?
by Carolyn Clark  

... 2007/9/18 18:53
As I've never heard of it, I googled it both in English and Japanese. And to be honest, I couldn't get much info in Japanese.

I could be wrong but what I gathered is that most of these toys were made in Japan (based on US design) to export in the 1930's. (Japan produced as much as 40 % of celluloid in the world back then) Some were made for a Japanese confectionery "Ezaki glico" as free toys for "glico Caramel."
glico : http://www.glico.co.jp/en/index.htm
Junzo Miyamoto (aka ZONZO) was the 1st designer and made a proposal to produce free toys from celluloid instead of wood. He has a small museum in Osaka.

by JLady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread