Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naritasan bad for couples of lovers ? 2007/9/18 06:36
I heard Naritasan is devoted to a goddess whose jealousy will eventually break down your couple if you visit it with your lover.
Does anyone know more about it ?
Thanks for your tips.
by bemol  

... 2007/9/18 10:30
bemol,
Yes, there's a rumor/superstition as you mentioned. But don't worry. When there's a jinx, there always is a "counter-jinx." As for Naritasan, the goddess lives near the front gate and you'll be ok if you use another gate to enter. Or you can enter seperately and join together within the compound!
by JLady rate this post as useful

jinx 2007/9/18 13:59
I am sure that there is a superstition somewhere saying that it is bad luck for lovers to believe in superstions! there definitely should be one.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

voodoo ? 2007/9/18 17:27
Thanks folks for your answers ;-)

I must now tell you the whole story :

I'm European and my Japanese girlfriend told me about this superstition. She strongly believes in it.
Ok, no problem for me so far.
But recently i received a mail from my ex Jgf. We still exchange news from time to time, and she knows my new gf is Japanese too.
In this mail she told me she visited Naritasan and - this is what makes me wonder - she attached a photo of it...
I just wonder if it can be considered just like casual news, or if there can be some kind of "voodoo" behind, due to "feminine jealousy" (i must specify that _she_ broke up our relationship, not me !...)

Female mind is so weird to me sometimes... maybe Japanese female mind is even more ? ;-)

Or after all, maybe only my mind is too imaginative...

All opinions accepted ! Thanks a lot.
by bemol rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/18 21:57
Considering thousands apon thousands of people go to Narita san each year, I doubt it has ruined thousands of relationships.

Depends if you are a supersitious person or if you can look at it logically.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/18 22:00
There's also something called the Narita Divorse, meaning newly married couples who are off to their honeymoon flying out of Narita Airport end up getting divorsed on their way back.

Of course I have no doubt many people not just in Japan but the world decide after the honeymoon that they just made a bad mistake.

Considering Narita Airport is a very busy airport I dont see why there wouldn't be a number of couples to came back and decided to divorse, but how about the millions of other travelers who go through and never had a problem! You see its all how you look at it.
by John rate this post as useful

Not superstitious ! 2007/9/19 00:47
Thanks John for easing me ;-)

I am a rationalist, and I am not superstitious, lucky me !

But my question is more like :
In Japanese mind, in Japanese culture, is this sort of behaviour (like voodoo) popular ?
I mean, my concern is not so much in finding if this legend is well founded or not; but rather in knowing what was in my ex-gf's mind when she sent me this photo !

You know, rationnalists always ask lots of BIIIIG useless questions... :-S
by bemol rate this post as useful

reply to this thread