Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Socks strategy...? 2007/9/19 07:50
Another mad gaijin question - if I wear sandals without socks can I go inside a cafe etc. barefoot?
by Connie Chiwa  

Shoes 2007/9/19 21:45
Connie,

That's entirely up to you, unless it is a more up-market place, in which they might politely ask you to keep your shoes on.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

no shoes cafes? 2007/9/19 22:03
Do you mean you are thinking you have to take your sandals off to go inside a cafe? You go in with your shoes on, just like in any other country.

Some Japanese style restaurants and izakayas have you take your shoes off before entering tatami sections, in which case it's fine to be barefoot.

The majority of eating establishments in Japan don't require you to take your shoes off. In the hot summers here wearing sandals without socks is perfectly acceptable.
by Sira rate this post as useful

What I meant... 2007/9/20 07:00
...I guess was - entering a restaurant,temple etc. when only wearing sandals, is it ok to move around barefoot after removing them at the door?
by Connie Chiwa rate this post as useful

no socks = no problem 2007/9/20 08:57
Yes, it is fine. Don't worry. It gets to 37 degrees or more in Tokyo and Kyoto in summer- do you think everyone wears socks every day? Of course not.

If you have a problem with foot odour you might want to wear socks or put deodorant on your feet though.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread