Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kanji for Suzuki 2007/9/20 00:18
I'm looking for a nice picture of the name "Suzuki" in script/caligraphy/kanji (I'm not sure what Japanese non-character based writing is called)

I'm repainting a motorcycle and thought it would be cool to air-brush Suzuki on the tank in Japanese instead of english.

Thanks!
by Chris  

Suzuki 2007/9/20 07:39
Chris,

The name Suzuki in Japan is most often written as "—é–Ø".
However, the motorbike manufacturer's name is properly written in katakana as "ƒXƒYƒL", and the brand name actually applied to products is "SUZUKI".
So take your pick.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/9/20 10:18
Thanks for the answers. Now I have to figure out why firefox shows the answer as "???" and IE shows it as little boxes.

But that should be a piece of cake!

Again, many thanks!
by Chris rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/20 10:51
Chris most likely you need to install japanese language support , sometimes it is already installed and you have to go to VIEW-CHARACTER ENCODING-JAPANESE

But as mentioned, normally Suzuki is written as is on their products, instead of the Katakana writing.
by John rate this post as useful

Is this close? 2007/9/20 13:09
Thanks again, John and Dave.

I tried to make this in paintbrush.

Did I get close enough?

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q39/94z07/suzuki.jpg

. 2007/9/20 13:51
If you must want to write Suzuki in Japanese, in Suzuki meaning the motorbike company, then write it in Katakana at least.

Suzuki 2007/9/20 14:23
You have written it quite nicely in the link you posted. You might want to smooth out some of the edges of the strokes if you hadn't already planned to do so- for example the bottom right hand stroke (going diagonally to the right) of the right hand kanji –Ø is kind of lumpy in your picture.

John, I don't see why he (she?) shouldn't write it in kanji- I'm not a motorbike purist so maybe that's the issue here, but it doesn't hurt to have it in kanji, surely, and it looks nicer than the katakana.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/20 15:01
If he wanted to name his bike Suzuki I guess it would be fine to use Kanji.

But if he wanted to delineate Suzuki as the name of the company brand, then proper useage would be either using Suzuki as is in roman script (what they do normally when branding) or writing it in Katakana as thats how it translates into the company name, instead of using Kanji.

I guess if you wanted to dispense on proper usage then yeah anyway is fine.

... 2007/9/20 23:29
I am a motorcycle enthusiast and have noticed the trend of putting the kanji names of the manufacturers on the motorcycles. It seems to follow the import car styling trends.

We are talking about art anyway, and there really is not way to do that wrong. Suzuki themselves put Hayabusa in Kanji on that particular model.

I say if you think it looks good then go for it anyway you like, rather than what would be "proper." By the way, which model are you working on?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

It's not a common one. 2007/9/20 23:40
The bike in question is a VX800. I'm thinking, this winter, I'll paint it British racing green. On the tank I want to paint either a white circle or white elipse. Inside the white I'll either put the Suzuki "S" logo or caligraphy. I am by no means saying that the Kanji looks better than the Katakana. I just haven't seen the Katakana yet. So far, I've learned enough not to put "sea-bass" on my bike :)

Thanks again, everyone.

. 2007/9/21 04:55
The dave has written the Katakana.

. 2007/9/21 04:55
Dave has written the Katakana.

. 2007/9/21 04:56
Sorry Dave, for some reason I wrote you as an object. I meant: "Dave has written the Katakana in his post."

.. 2007/9/21 10:18
John,
I have faith that Dave has written the Katakana perfectly. I haven't seen it yet though. It will be Sunday before I have time to install the needed files on one of my personal comps. If I install anything on my company PC I'll have to explain it when SMS reports the modification. I found the Kanji in a graphic form though. Just haven't found Katakana as a .JPG or similar.

reply to this thread