Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do you think of my Itinerary 2007/9/22 04:50
Hi everyone.

Im about to go on my first trip to Japan. Im going over for 27 days. Ive made an itinerary and im just wanting to know what what a few of you experienced travels think of it.

Im listing the destinations by how amny nights im staying.

Tokyo - 4n

- Day trip - Nikko
- Day trip - Kamakura

Hiroshima - 2n

Miyajima 2n (staying in ryokan)

Himeji - 2n

Kyoto - 4n

Kanazawa -2n

Nara - 2n

Mount Koya - 1n (any info about lodging in a temple would be helpful)

Ive left a few days spare.Im planning on re-visiting places i liked with my spare days.

So what do you think?

by JoshRAM  

... 2007/9/23 12:01
Considering your time available, I feel that you spend unproportionally lots of time in the Hiroshima/Miyajima and Himeji region and unproportionally little time in Tokyo and Kyoto.

This page offers ideas of other places to visit:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Go further afield 2007/9/24 14:49
Except for Kanazawa and Koya-san, you're following the main tourist path and could venture further away from this tourist core area.

Hiroshima could probably be reduced to 1 night; if your ryokan is in Momiji-dani on Miyajima, 2 nights would be a nice relaxing stop with a good ryokan experience.

I personally get burned out quickly on 17th Century Temples and Shrines in Kyoto (most were rebuilt during the 1600s and 1700s), and limit myself to just a few (I also get burned out by the 3rd cathedral in Europe on a single trip).

You will find Tokyo exhausting as a tourist. This is one place that I really enjoyed living but I don't particularly like to visit it for any extended period.

Since you're cruising north to Kanazawa, check out Eihei-ji by Fukui City for a 3-day meditation stop, or come south out of Kanazawa to check out the Shirakawa Valley or Hida-Takayama before crossing the Alps via Norikura Skyline down to Matsumoto where you can drop down and check some old post towns along the Nakasendo. If you felt like driving, you could explore the Noto-Hanto, north of Kanazawa, or do the same heading south or east into the Alps.

You've got time, check out the countryside.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

Himeji 2007/9/24 14:54
I love castles but 2 nights in Himeji is a bit much! one afternoon or morning is more than enough.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

feedback 2007/9/27 12:51
Hi Josh,
I did a similiar trip last year to most of the places you are going. I'd offer the following advice:
1. Review the 2 nights on Miyajima. It's worth the trip, but I did it as a day trip from Hiroshima and fitted everything in. I believe it is VERY quiet there at night (not much to do except be in ryokan or walk around). I think you may find that 2 nights is excessive.
2. I'd take a night off Miyajima and allocate it to Koyasan. There is a lot more to see and do, plus it is quite an effort getting to Koyasan - will probably take much of the day to get there. I definitely think one night is too short here. I suggest a MINIMUM of two nights. A temple stay would be a highlight for sure. I stayed at Shojoshin-in and highly recommend it. I booked it through one of the popular 'Japanese Guest Houses' booking websites, which is VERY helpful. Definitely stay up there two nights to absorb the atmosphere - a nighttime stroll through the cemetery when the day crowds have gone is very good.
I have been on a couple of trips to Japan and would always find more to do in Tokyo. Your allocated time may be quite suitable, but don't be afraid of spending longer if you like exploring cities - it's fascinating.

Hope that helps.
Sarah
by sarah rate this post as useful

reply to this thread