Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do I need to learn in Jpn classes 2007/9/23 03:58
In the sense what dialets and other stuff, like what Japanese characters like just Kanji or anything else like what level I need to go for.

Not just for enteriment for anime or video games but when I travel to Japan next year

Thanks
by Abhi  

... 2007/9/23 14:01
Abhi,

Are you coming to Japan for sightseeing trip for a week or so next year? Or are you coming to Japan to study the language for a longer time?? I don't quite understand the purpose of your learning the Japanese language.

If you are coming only for a week of sightseeing in Japan, at least in Tokyo and other major cities, many signs are in English/alphabet, and there will be someone who can help you with English if you need help finding places in town. Maybe you can get some simple phrase book and learn phrases like "Arigatou" (thank you), "XX wa doko desu ka?" (WHere is XX?), "AA iki no densha wa nan-ji desu ka? (What time is the train for AA?), etc. I am sure that travelers guide books will show you some kanji signs such as "出口" (exit), and "入口" (entrance) 非常口 (emergency exit), etc.

- If you are coming to study or work in Japan, you will need to attend classes, where they will teach you mostly Tokyo dialect or "standard" Japanese, and also teach you all the different writing styles - starting with hiragana, katakana, then simple kanji, then to more kanji, all used in combination in Japanese writing.

If you can tell us what you are going to do in Japan, it will make it easier for us to answer your question better.
by AK rate this post as useful

What do I need to learn in JPN classes 2007/9/23 23:11
I am coming for a holiday but will spend about 3 weeks up there
by Abhi rate this post as useful

What do I need to learn in JPN classes 2007/9/23 23:14
however I always wanted to learn it properly and now I have a reason to learn.

so yes I do want to learn it for anime and video games but also to speak it in JPN

Learning Japanese 2007/9/24 02:02
If you are serious about learning the language then try to find an evening class. Its much better than trying to learn alone. I found one at the local university that was based on the 'Japanese for busy people' books.
by Stan Cox rate this post as useful

Japanese classes 2007/9/24 09:53
You are planning to take classes? Learn what they teach you then- they most likely have plenty of experience in teaching Japanese to foreigners and will teach you in a logical way so that you can progress in the language.

You will probably start by learning the hiragana and katakana and then later they may teach you some kanji.

Follow their curriculum is what I suggest and learn some extra vocab if you have time.
by Sira rate this post as useful

regards to this 2007/9/24 12:34
hiragana and katakana and then later they may teach you some kanji

Now are all of the above JPN characters.
Also when they teach me, how can I study at home to learn faster, maybe go to JPN websites and stuff.

I have JPN characters installed on my PC and also what do I need to look for in classes.
As my work shifts comprises of me working akward shifts.

6 days on and 4 days off, the 6 days on, I can do classes on the first 2 days but the other 4 are late and night shifts

studying Japanese 2007/9/24 21:10
I really suggest waiting until you start the course so you can see what kind of materials are used, how much homework is given, how you progress with the lessons and what the teachers suggest you do for extra study.

As you have no experience learning the language it is difficult to suggest supplementary materials- you need a foundation first. Your teacher will explain clearly what hiragana, katakana etc are- it is quite a lot of work to learn those two sets of characters (48 characters in each) so you may find you don't have a lot of time for extra study.

To find out more about hiragana, katakana and kanji, why not check Wikipedia? There should be a thorough explanation there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread