Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What may "wasuki" mean? 2007/9/25 00:14
I am opening a new shop, and I'd like to call it "Wasuki". Is it a pleasant or unpleasant word (or part of word)? Thank you :)
by Zipi  

... 2007/9/25 10:52
There is no one word like "Wasuki" in Japanese that has any meaning. WHere did you come up with the name? Since it is not a known person's name or a common word, I was just wondering.

However, I found one restaurant/inn that has the same name, with the kanji 和数寄, having the meaning of something like "taste (in the sense of "preference") for things Japanese." This of course is a made-up name too. So... maybe this is a description you *could* use for the origin of the name :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Great! 2007/9/25 17:55
Thank you so much! I read a word with "wasuki" in it, and I just liked the sound of it. It was part of a word meaning something like "to like". So that was the general idea, make a word that doesn't realy mean anything, but if you'd like it to mean something, i would be pleasant :) Thanks again!
by Zipi rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/25 18:21
Yes, I thought you might have picked up parts of words from a sentence, including "suki da/desu" (to like). :) You might have heard a part of a sentence with the structure of "watashi wa AAA ga suki" (I like AAA."). When someone says "No I don't like it," another one might have said "Watashi wa suki" (But *I* like (it)). There you could have heard the string of "wa suki" together.

In any case, "wa" and "suki" are separate words, but seeing that someone else has another name with the same sound (in Japan) for his restaurant, it is definitely pleasant :) Good luck with the shop!
by AK rate this post as useful

gasuki - がすき − が 好き 2007/9/25 18:32
Do you mean you saw it in a sentence something like this:

貴方 は 日本 料理 が 好き ですか

anata ha nihon ryouri 'ga suki' desuka

Do you like Japanese cooking?
by another John rate this post as useful

Wasuki 2007/9/25 19:49
Zipi,

I think this is a great name for a shop if it is selling Japanese items.
In Japanese, it could be read as "和好き", loosely meaning "like Japanese", or as "わー好き", meaning "Hey I really like that!"
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Better and better :) 2007/9/25 20:03
I have a Japanese frase book in english, and I saw this part of the sentence. I like the sound of Japanese, so I instantly fell in love with his little word "wasuki". And yes, I sell Japanese products ;) Hello Kitty in fact!
by Zipi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread