Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what kind of train pass do i need? 2007/9/25 02:03
oct. 13 day 1 CHECK IN TOKYO
oct. 14 day 2 Tokyo (start 14 days JR pass)
oct. 15 day 3 (Tokyo)TAKAYAMA
oct. 16 day 4 (Tokyo)Kamakura
oct. 17 day 5 Tokyo Autumn Festival in Nikko
oct. 18 day 6 Tokyo check out
oct. 18 day 6 check in Osaka
oct. 19 day 7 (OSAKA)Kanazawa
oct. 20 day 8 (OSAKA)Kyoto
oct. 21 day 9 (OSAKA)Nara
oct. 22 day 10 (OSAKA)Himeji
oct. 23 day 11(OSAKA)Hiroshima
oct. 24 day 12 CHECK OUT OSAKA AND TRAVEL TO TOKYO
oct. 24 DAY 12 Check in Tokyo
oct. 25 day 13 Tokyo
oct. 25 day 13 check out Tokyo and Travel to Narita
oct. 26 day 14 NARITA
oct. 27 DAY 15 departure.

My question is if you can rate my itinerary and also if you can tell me what kind of JP Rail do i have to buy?
the green one or the ordinary.? Tokaido/Sanyo Shinkansen is the line? thanks
by SSANDIAMEX  

. 2007/9/25 10:03
You realize a day trip to Takayama takes nearly 5 hours, and it appears you are doing it as a day trip, so you're doing 10 hours of just traveling.

If you were to skip Takayama and stayed in the Tokyo area, I suggest you just get a 7 day JR pass starting on Day 6. Everything else you can do with single fare tickets (and or a combination of local passes (eg, Suica & Nex from Narita Airport, Kamakura Free Kippu for Kamakura, or Tobu Nikko Passes for Nikko).
by John rate this post as useful

what train pass do I need? 2007/9/25 12:13
Adding up the cost of all of your journeys comes to 87200 yen, which is 42000 yen more then a 14 day ordinary pass (45100 yen) or 27000 yen more then a 14 day green car pass9(60200 yen).
by Philip rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/25 12:21
The bulk of his itinerary (minus Takayama) takes place during the seven days from Day 6 to 12. Exactly the right for a 7 Day JR pass. Cheaper then a 14 day pass, and certainly cheaper then paying single fare tickets.

The rest of his trip (again minus Takayama) can easily be done cheaply with single fare tickets or regional passes (as I mentioned above). So again if he dropped Takayama, he can save money (not to mention the 10+ hours of traveling alone just going there and coming back) and get a 7 day pass.
by John rate this post as useful

ordinary or green? 2007/9/26 00:20
i read all the information, thank you so much only i have this question, do i have to buy ordinary or green one?
by SSANDIAMEX rate this post as useful

green car or? 2007/9/26 00:49
please type that question in the window on this site. you will find old posts about it . the consensus is that there is no consensus. it is a personal decision. The green car has wider seats, more leg space, but in most cases this doesn't justify the extra expense. At holiday times they get just as crowded as regular cars.
by sansei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/26 06:08
you sound unaware of the difference between green and ordinary. green cars are first class cars. ordinary are ordinary. they are both on the same train so its your choice which to buy.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thank you for all your info 2007/9/26 07:24
i was reading all your info, i really thanks all of you
by SSANDIAMEX rate this post as useful

reply to this thread