Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Concert etiquette 2007/9/25 06:18
I am from Canada and coming to Japan to see a JRock concert in Kyoto & Nara. Is there a problem with bringing a camera or cell-phone that has camera capabilities? I know that for concerts here, cameras & other recording devices are not permitted, however I was wondering if they do searches in Japan, especially on a female gaijin with pink hair? I'm sitting so far away it probably wouldn't matter anyway...thanks! Any other tips would be appreciated!
by Grace  

... 2007/9/25 10:09
I've heard of places where they asked you to place your handbag/other baggage through x-ray check and/or manual check (asking you to open your bag and the staff looking into it/lightly running their hands through), and have heard of instances where people in the audience actually violating rules and taking photos getting caught (removed from the venue).
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/25 10:30
Grace, I've been attending rock concerts for more than 30 years and in the recent decades, they always inspect your bag at the entrace, except for at small clubs. Since 911, they also make sure you don't bring in any PET bottles (beverages are available inside the venues). If they find any recording devices including cameras or find you recording inside the venue, they will take it away immediately, however, you can get it back as you leave.

But cell phones are usually allowed as a communication device, and they don't really pay attention even if you take photos with them (as long as you don't annoy the show with your flash lights, I suppose). At least, you see tons of people taking cell phone photos of the stage set after the show.

Also waving lighter flames are prohibited due to the Fire Services Law, so be sure you purchase non-flammable pen lights or the like if you want to wave during ballads.

Btw, if you don't have any bags with you, they won't stop you to check your pockets ;)

In any case, piracy is an illegal act that affects your favorite artists.
by Uco rate this post as useful

No worries! 2007/9/25 12:15
Actually, I was asking since my purse is also my camera bag when I travel (I'm a scenic photographer interested in shooting bamboo groves while I'm in Kyoto as well as a big Buck-Tick fan!). I didn't want to leave the whole bag at the hotel so I will plan to leave the bag (It's kinda sizeable) and try to store my passport, yen, mini-binoculars (I'm seated way at the back of the hall!) and cell phone in my pockets. I've been in the movie biz in the past so I'm not a big fan of piracy of any sort, so rest assured it's not why I was asking. I appreciate the replies, however! I hope to have a smashing good time! (even if I can't understand all the lyrics, hey?) :)
by Grace rate this post as useful

View from the J-Pop scene 2007/9/25 15:18
Hi Grace! I`m a regular concert goer here in Japan, just in the J-pop scene. However, I`m sure they follow some of the same rules in the J-Rock scene too. Lately, there have been a lot of problems with people taking pictures when they are not supposed to (even though there are signs EVERYWHERE with pictures and Japanese/English saying NOT to take pictures). And so they are really cracking down on people...To the point of removing people from the venue and revoking their fanclub numbers. This is the extreme case, but I thought I would warn you.

I would say just wait and see what kinds of signs they have in the venue. Generally, you will go through a check (as mentioned above), and they will ask you if you have a camera. (I`m actually not sure how J-Rock concerts are different from J-Pop though). The signs will be pretty clear on what you can and can`t do. If it says no pictures, it`s probably better to just enjoy the show and buy official pictures later.
by Ren-chan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread